Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Fractal Art Boring, Too Hard, or an Oxymoron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Fractal Art Boring, Too Hard, or an Oxymoron?

I love fractal art. I could stare at it all day long. I find it fascinating (in the literal sense of the word). But I seem to be in the minority.

Let me clarify that by "fractal art" I do not simply mean "pictures of fractals".

Random examples of what I do mean:
    http://killythirsk.deviantart.com/ar...ucus-293234985
    http://www.deviantart.com/art/Fractal-Art-20-104813488

I'll admit I can't do much with fractals myself. Perhaps there's a clue there. The learning curve is too steep, or the path from "here" to "there" too opaque.

But even when googling for this post, most of the examples I liked best were found in wallpaper collections (IMO "wallpaper" is the visual equivalent of elevator music).

My personal taste leans towards the more abstract. I find the more literal depictions tend to be cloying and cliched.

So are these the reasons fractal art doesn't have a larger following?
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Re: Is Fractal Art Boring, Too Hard, or an Oxymoro

I keep thinking how cool these images would be coupled with some nice typography. Might have to try it.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tareq
      Art in Photography.....Discussion
      by Tareq
      Hey all,

I would like to ask about: What is art in photography?
      How can you define Photography Fine Art?
      When you can say about a photo that it is art?
      What is the standard or qualification for the photo to be an art?
      Who can tell about any photo that it...
      02-03-2009, 04:35 PM
    • Doug Nelson
      Does Art (capital A) exist?
      by Doug Nelson
      I just finished watching Art School Confidential (very good movie, btw) and it brought up an interesting point: can one be an Artist and create Art, or is it just varying degrees of craftsmanship and popularity?
      10-29-2006, 04:36 AM
    • winwintoo
      Here's your chance to defend your art form.
      by winwintoo
      I'm from the "I don't know anything about art, but I know what I like" crowd.

I just had a discussion with my son the artsy university student. One of his classes is looking at art and computers and the internet and all that. I'm not sure what they are trying to prove, but he...
      03-05-2003, 08:04 PM
    • Doug Nelson
      Glitch Art
      by Doug Nelson
      Totally new to me, at least in the photo arena. But there are some beautiful examples, and evidently software available to help make it now.

https://medium.com/re-form/breaking-...e-14f413bdf2ce
      08-27-2014, 11:04 AM
    • Doug Nelson
      X-Ray Art
      by Doug Nelson
      Always striving to find nice things in my hometown of St. Louis, I came across this fascinating streaming video on our local PBS station website. The son of a radiologist uses his father's x-ray machines to make some truly breathtaking art.

X-Ray Art Video
      07-24-2005, 06:30 PM
    Working...
    X