• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Skin Retouch

For my portfolio

Please C&C all you want.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/175/4...79137c5e_b.jpg

Re: Another Skin Retouch

Good effort, it's got great potential. I think it looks more like a 3D program than a real human, tho. The texture of the skin looks very fake and doesn't really seem to represent real human skin. It looks very even-lit throughout, which isn't your retouching, but more of the original photograph (lacks a lot of shadow/shape.)

Try looking at beauty magazines for examples of great skin retouching. Usually magazines like Elle, Cosmo, and such have editorial pieces on make-up, which usually feature close-up shots of skin. Those have great skin texture on them, which you could learn a lot from.

Comment

Hello Godmother

Very nice attempt here. A little to sharp around the eye though. To crisp looking.
      If you are going to add a texture over the existing skin, be careful which defects show through. If they are to faint it can really mar the look of whatever you are trying to achieve.Even if the texture is fake looking.

The original lighting on the image was pretty good for a beauty shot. What you did changed the look of the image. You should always try to keep the original intent.

This look has been around NYC for a number of years, well not just there, and it is starting to fall out of favor. Don't get me wrong, if it is asked for it is great. But there is a big swing the last few years about retaining as natural a look and feel as possible.

Good Luck!

Chris

Comment

I think the skin-tone could use a touch more magenta - with the color and slight shimmer of the skin, she looks a little like Data from star trek. Have you elongated the face? It looks a different proportion to the original. I think you've done a good job with some very bad skin, but without seeing the full res original, its hard to say if you could have done better.

Comment

I'd agree with NancyJ here, looks a little beige to me

Comment

It depends on the look you are trying to go for. Personally I don't care for this style much, but if this is the style you are going for it looks good. The skin is a little plastic looking, but maybe that's part of the effect you were trying for?

Comment

what a great shot!!

but i agree with elohssa, way to heavy for my taste. the skin looks really thick, and the texture looks a bit to much on the orange peel side ... not as soft as it could be.

Comment

Hey Godmother, I like what you've done.

What were some of the steps you took to get the skin to where its at right now?

Rocksteady,
                Danno~

Comment

It's a weird one....

It seems as though you've added a texture to her skin, that wasn't there before. It's insanely even everwhere in the face, even though in real life it wouldn't be that way.

It's good to have so much texture in certain parts (chin, etc) but on the nose like that.... It just feels really fake.

Take your end result and place it over the (fixed big things) original and just mask it out... 20% overall, and 60% in certain areas.

Comment

[QUOTE=DJSoulglo;154264]It's a weird one....

It seems as though you've added a texture to her skin QUOTE]

I didn't add texture, it's the original skin texture a little magnified

see? http://www.nrtretouch.com/Samples/Grace.html

Originally posted by DJSoulglo View Post
                    Take your end result and place it over the (fixed big things) original and just mask it out... 20% overall, and 60% in certain areas.
                    That's a good advice I was going to do that but the image has been published already so... I can't touch it now.

Thanks for looking
                    Last edited by Godmother; 05-05-2007, 10:01 AM. Reason: added the see?

Comment

i like the result, maybe a little color adjustments as mentioned before but everyones taste is different. anyway I wanted to ask something (seems to be right place to ask are there other ways to add the details (skin texture) back except highpass filter?

Comment

Need color adjustment but Overall you did a great job...

Comment

I think it's great. Wish I could achieve such texture. To me, it seems to flow beautifully with with the contours of her face.

Comment

Adding the texture was a great improvement, although if I were you I would make it a bit lighter & more subtle around the cheek area in particular; at the moment it's a little bit too pronounced. Otherwise- great job!

Comment

Really nice seems like some effort went into creating it,I personally like it.The thing is did you achieve what you set out to do and only you can answer that
                              also whats the end use going to be for the photograph I think these are always important questions one should always ask of themselves

just my opinion zgane

Comment