Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First attempt

Hi everyone

I'm new to retouching and this my first real attempt at photo retouching. The photographer is Chanel Rene, who kindly offered her work for retouch practice. I mainly used the heal brush and dodge and burn. I also tried to adjust her skin tone on her face to match her body better. I've tried to keep the freckles because I love them (I have freckles too :p ) I'm pretty pleased for a first attempt but feel it lack sparkle.

So please could you let me know what I'm getting right.. or wrong and what I else I need to do?

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: First attempt

Adjust RGB levels on your final image and it'll be there. (Input 0 - 1.0 - 192 for example). Nice job otherwise.

Comment

I think you did a fine job as well, however, depending on what you wanted to place emphasis on would change the outcome. I'm referring to the product she's holding or the model herself.
      I agree with your thoughts on freckles (love em), but the large ones on the arm are a distraction.
      I adjusted your "after" photo to illustrate my suggestions, which I hope is ok. I'd suggest the following:
      More texture on the white thing
      enhancing the eye catchlight and lighten the eyes somewhat.
      Contrast and warmth adj. to add some pop.
      Maybe a slight dark vignette to bring attention to the face.

Of course these change would look better applied to a higher resolution image.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by LQQKER; 08-24-2008, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Wow thanks for the advice. I'll try suggestions and post my results

Lqqker i love what you've done... it's got that "pop" I just wasn't getting!

Comment

Hi Lydia,

Everyone has to start somewhere and if this is your first 'real' attempt then you've done a good job.
          There are only a couple of things I would suggest and they are:

Brighten it up just a touch, she dosn't stand out, use levels, curves etc.,and a touch of hue/sat.
          Light up her eyes. (eyeballs,iris)
          Highlight the lighter parts of her hair a bit more. (d&b)

Hope this helps.
          Barry.
          Attached Files

Comment

Aw thanks everyone is so sweet. Thanks for the advice

I've done some d&b on her hair
            lightened her eyes more
            Got rid of the larger freckles
            Adjusted the levels (I think that made a huge difference)
            And added a vignette, which I found a tutorial on youtube to do that so tell me if I'm off with that one!
            Attached Files

Comment

Lydia,
              Much better. That brings our attention to the model much more. I'm still a little on the fence about the tone difference between her face and her neck/shoulders. My eyes are still drawn to the brighter area, being the neck line. I'm thinking it would be better if I were drawn to her face.
              Anyway, very nice for a first real try !

Comment

Thanks Tommy. I'll try and brighten the face up more, it's hard getting the tone to match! I'm a make-up artist by trade and always take the foundation down to the neck line - but I appreciate why even more now!

Looking at it now I feel the her eyes could be a little bit lighter too!

Comment

Hello again Lydia,
                  The color is a lot better, and your right, her eyes could be slightly brighter. To be fair it's the angle the photo was taken at that makes it hard to highlight her eyes to much and keep them looking natural. All in all your doing a good job.
                  Barry.

Comment

Thanks Barry I'm trying to get balance on eyes right, it hard not to make them look like they're glowing lol

Comment

I know what you mean Lydia, some of the eye jobs iv'e seen on this this site make the women look like their auditioning for a vampire movie.LOL.
                      The eyeballs are about right, just a touch more on the irises.
                      Barry.

Comment