Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reality Check - Need Feedback

Greetings!
    I’m so happy to have found this group! I’m your typical indecisive basket case and can not seem to make up my mind as to how I want to design my website. Professional, Creative, Whimisical….you get the idea. In the last 5 weeks I have created 5 different web sites and still….I don’t have the look I’m looking for.
    I’m looking to create a clean, semi-professional web site with a dash of whimsy. I have no problems designing something for someone else, but for me…I seem to keep changing my mind. I went from a black and white web site to another black and white web site to a yellow and purple web site and now I’m on to the color green….
    I need a slap in the face to straighten me out (just joking) and then maybe some brutal honesty. I would really appreciate some advice. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated
    My URL is Http://www.angelakretz.com

Re: Reality Check - Need Feedback

Are you sure you are ready for "some brutal honesty"?

Originally posted by Angiek14210 View Post
    Greetings!
    I’m so happy to have found this group! I’m your typical indecisive basket ....
    suggestions are greatly appreciated
    My URL is Http://www.angelakretz.com

Comment

Yes, I realize it's going to hurt - a lot!!!! But I am ready for it. Keep in mind the word "beginner". Feel free to laugh all you want....I'm laughing right now because I can't believe I posted this here. However, I realize this will only help me in the long run.

Comment

Angela,
        While your site is rather plain and simple, that does not necessary translate into bad. I see nothing wrong with using an all html based site (no flash, etc). It is often works better, ensuring your site is available to mobile users as well.

However, if you plan to sell services such as web site building and printing (as you say), then your site should be an example of your very best work. While you are a beginner, I'm sure this is not your very best. So, look at it from that standpoint and see what else you can come up with. Pretend you are a high end client; what would you produce for "you". Our first impression when seeing your site should be "wow !".

Comment

TommyO -
          Thanks so Much for the Awesome Feedback One thing that I'm struggling with is style. Everyone has their own style and mine seems to be a little on the flowery, whimisical side. Should I try and forget what I like and just design pages with a good clean, format?

Thank-You - This has helped me tremendously!

Comment

Assuming the purpose of the website is to showcase photos and/or photo retouching work

Your website is going to be your delivery mechanism of what you are capable of doing.

It should be clear, visually appealing, ideally elegant but above all it should be easy to use because it needs to make it easy for people to see your work.

Should it be whimsical? I don't know....

If it does enhance the user experience of someone looking at your images, then, by all means, make it so. If it helps communicate to the user who you are, what you do and how you do it, make it so.

However, making it whimsical simply because you like the "look" should not be a reason for making so unless the goal is strictly to showcase your "whimsical" side.

Should it be a more "professional" design? I don't know....

Again the answer should be: does it enhance the user experience? If it does go for it.

Should it be Flash? or should it be plain HTML?

I would recommend that you stick with HTML. It is easier to code and maintain and much faster to view/navigate.

Remember the point of the website is to showcase your photo retouching work, not your website building skills unless the goal is to showcase those skills specifically.

Originally posted by Angiek14210 View Post
            TommyO -
            Thanks so Much for the Awesome Feedback One thing that I'm struggling with is style. Everyone has their own style and mine seems to be a little on the flowery, whimsical side. Should I try and forget what I like and just design pages with a good clean, format?

Thank-You - This has helped me tremendously!

Comment

I use the Opera browser, and your site doesn't load properly on it. This is odd if you are using plain HTML.

Comment

Veryweird,
                Thanks for the feedback, I've used FW and PS for a few of the items on the site and that maybe why it looks odd...it's such a work in progress probably because I didn't plan well and its not thought out at all. Mmmm, maybe I just solved one of my biggest problems

Comment

Frank,
                  Thank YOU!! I'm printing your reply so that I can refer to it while re-creating my web site! You guys are the BEST!!

Comment

im using 1680x1050 the website text was tilt to left. This thing should fit any resolution if you know what I mean.

Comment

The page looks like step one of ten steps. It's a couple of gray backgrounds and some buttons that look like a Front Page template from 1995. The text is hanging out to the left somehow.
                      You can do better than this, I'm sure.
                      The page doesn't capture any of the adjectives you listed.

The style you have:

font-family: "Segoe Print";

Most people will not have that font and it will display as Times New Roman probably.

Comment

Working...
                      X