Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first 2 retouch pictures

Hello!
    This is my first post here so nice to meet you!
    I'm a beginner in the retouch business and I want to hear your opinions about 2 works. Thanks!

Woman

Man

Re: My first 2 retouch pictures

definitely some potential here. just a couple things: watch out on both removing TOO much wrinkles or eye definition under the eyes...you're losing some of the depth. The hair on the woman is looking a little stiff. Its a good start but watch the part by her ear where it just stops and other areas that might look a bit unnatural. Finally try adding a bit more contrast at the end to make both pop a little more and contour the faces.

Comment

Suras333,
      Welcome to RetouchPro !
      A couple of quick points also....
      Woman
      - review the overall appearance of the image. It's starting to get quite bright, similar to an overexposed image from a camera flash. This is also made worse by the very bright background. Try toning down the background, then reworking the skin tones a bit.
      - the eye-whites are much too white.
      - the teeth are approaching being too white also. Compare to the original... look how much detail are in the originals, and very little reflection. Get back to that, only whiten a little.

Man
      - much better, good job on the hair.
      - the skin is beginning to take on some blurred look, so don't go too far. Especially in the chin. It's fine to leave a little 5-o'clock shadow, it's manly. All you want to do is tone it down a bit, not remove it.

If I had to say one thing, I'd say you're going a bit too far. Bring it all back a tad and focus on keeping detail in the image. Our eyes are extremely sensitive to this and it doesn't take much before we can tell... especially once the image is sharpened and printed.

Comment

Thanks for your replies!

rsvrdogg86 - I'm still working at the calibration of my retouch, so I think you are right, I remove too much below the eyes and yes, now I see the missing hair and the stiffness.

TommyO - I thought too that the woman face was to bright, but I wasn't sure about it; I used a little blur to the man's skin. Thanks for the quick points so:

man
        1. worked the wrinkles a bit
        2. tried the 5-o'clock shadow

woman
        1. I extended the hair near the ear and worked a little at the stiffness on top
        2. I worked the wrinkles, teeth and eyes a bit
        3. Changed background and skin tone... (I hope it's ok)

Here I have a big question: how do you know the right Adjustments (tone, contrast etc). You use the commen sense or is there some kind of formula or something else? ( I watched a tutorial for the skin color and it was a general formula for CMYK numbers)
        Attached Files

Comment

I would say at first you should definitely look at the common practices in regards to the "by the numbers" approach to skin tones. Katrin Eismann has a great retouching book that explains this and so many more Color tools I would check that out. Eventually you will be able to work more from your eyes alone...

Comment

Thanks, I will read this book!
            Any other advices related the pictures are welcomed!

Comment

Hello!
              I retouched from the begining the woman's photo (I'm a persistent guy), so please, tell me, it's better now or I should change something?
              Attached Files

Comment

definitely getting better! Much more subtle and realistic. I would pull back the eye color a bit because they are starting to look a bit fake, and I am still not crazy about the hair falling across her forehead. Its still looking a bit stiff and unnatural. maybe try adding a bit of a shadow underneath on her face, or possibly very CAREFULLY morphing it into a bit of a different shape. getting better tho!

Comment

Thanks rsvrdogg86, I will think about what you said

Comment

Originally posted by suras333 View Post
                    Hello!
                    This is my first post here so nice to meet you!
                    I'm a beginner in the retouch business and I want to hear your opinions about 2 works. Thanks!

Woman

Man
                    The man is a bit better the woman looks like she's been painted like the smudge painting I found the retouch too heavy.

Comment