Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another critique to end 2016!

Hello all!
    With 2016 coming to a close, I wanted to get one more image up for critique. My plan for the month of December was to upload 4 images here in the critique forum and I was successful in uploading 3 images. I am very grateful to have found a community that really wants to help others learn. Thank you all for for taking the time to give me feedback! Getting your help has been vital to improving my skills and understanding of retouching.

I am using an image this time from one of the classes I am taking.

For this image I focused on:
    cleaning up the skin
    evening out the skin tone

How did I do?
    Any critique is welcome! I am here to learn!!

What would you have done differently?

Thanks again for the help!
    Attached Files

Re: Another critique to end 2016!

I would start with making everything clean, removing skin imperfections etc, and only then going for the final look. Portions of the face look muddy, and color is uneven, yet the folds on the neck are still there. Also, forehead and parts of the nose are far more saturated then the rest of the face.

Comment

Some of these changes are still a bit abrupt. I like what you did with the spots. They look more like scars than freckles. Some of it is good, but try to maintain the original shapes. I feel like you lose some of that underneath the eyes. I don't know what you're trying to do with the lips. This may be tricky, but I wouldn't leave the bridge of the nose so much brighter than the other highlights. It's a slightly awkward balance.

I would have gotten rid of the spots, then made a couple adjustment layers, one for the chest, one for the face, possibly one for the lower portion of the face. The point is that when you're looking for balance, you go from largest region to smallest region. The spottiness could be done somewhat in advance if you're careful, because it may otherwise distract you. I go in this order, because it avoids hitting the point of being just a bit overdone.

Comment

I have found your retouch up quite good. If I had to choose the technique then I would do the full touch up in such a way that the natural look remain intact.

Comment