No announcement yet.

Welcome to 27

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• ElectronicLady
    New Photo Art
    by ElectronicLady
    This is more art than photo. It started with a very bad photo. I did a LOT of image manipulation in photoshop. (I'm self learned.) I want to give this as a printed and framed gift, but don't want to give junk. What do yall think?...
    08-19-2005, 01:44 PM
  • dserkin
    Fantasy Horse
    by dserkin
    Hello -

I'm thinking of creating notecards of this image printed on Arches watercolor paper.

Several different filters and actions were used, including Tom Nelson inspired Watercolor and Jaseck's Dream Effect, as well as adjustments.
    I could probably never create...
    07-14-2003, 04:35 PM
  • CJ Swartz
    Advice on giving a good critique
    by CJ Swartz
    I've stated before that doing a good critique of a work is difficult for me -- it's an excellent exercise in looking for the important elements of an image, and deciding what works well and what does not.

A few of our members are already experienced at giving critiques, and for the rest...
    06-01-2003, 03:17 PM
  • aturner
    New smudger
    by aturner
    New to the forum and to smudging. Here is the original and my attempt to smudge. I feel like I missed something, although I can't figure out what. It still seems to be too "photographic" looking. Here are my steps:

1. Smudged using lighten, darken and normal modes at various...
    01-22-2009, 06:34 PM
  • Murray Harkavy
    Larry
    by Murray Harkavy
    Hi to All__I"m very happy with the results of this photo/painting of a biker. I use the 3S formula___simple, sharp and saleable.

your comments are welcome____MH...
    07-25-2003, 03:23 PM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to 27

Hi to All___Something new for me___I'm trying to make a photo/painting as close to an artist rendering on canvas. Comments?___MH
    Attached Files

This is very nice Murray--I like it almost as well as I do your portraits (I really like those). The painted effect in the house and the flowers is very attractive.

While it doesn't detract from the image, if I were going to nitpick, I'd say that the trees still look just a little too photo-realistic. Also, while I like the image as it is, if you are going for a watercolor look, the colors are probably too vibrant (I like them that way though).

Comment

Murray - I agree with Photomauler...this just looks like a photo with a filter applied. It's not a particularly strong image to begin with (although I do like the color combinations) and as Cheryl mentioned, it still looks too much like a photo to be considered a painting.

The thing that makes your portraits so strong is that they do not look like "filter art" and they have very distinct and expressive personalities. With a non-human subject you need something else to maintain the viewer's interest...interesting subject, strong composition, etc... IMHO, this image has neither.

My suggestion would be to really narrow down what you want the image to say and then really paint...in other words, do not feel that you have to be constrained by the shapes and colors of the photo and just push the image until it really expresses what you want. Most artists, even those who work in a realistic style, only use photos as starting points.

Comment

Working...
      X