Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice Glamour retouch

Hello all!
    This is a practice retouch I did of my friend. The original seemed dark and flat so I adjusted the light, smoothed the skin, applied digital make-up and replaced background. She really likes it! Hope you do. Pointers are welcome!
    http://members.tripod.com/rawessence/kt-glamour.jpg

Rawessence
    Last edited by Rawessence; 12-15-2003, 04:36 PM.

oops!

I don't think the server is going to allow the link to work. Here is a before and after of the picture alluded to previously!
    RawEssence

Comment

I really like this effect. It pulls you right to that lovely face. I would have extended the rays to the very edge to convey "infinite" brightness and beauty. I did a different but similar effect with my son. I'll post it if you like. Bottom line. I really works.

Cheers
      Duv

Comment

Ah... glad we got the image going.

Something to consider: Generally speaking you don't want a creative background to be more eye catching than than the person in the pic. That said, this is a very unique effect and you did a nice job of replacing the original background with it.

My suggestions would be crop the final image a bit so she's not right in the middle of the frame... perhaps just to the right of center.

~Danny~

Comment

You are right! I didn't think of it ! I'll try your suggestion.
          Rawessence

Comment

Yes, Duv! Please post your the example you did of your son. I'd love to see it!
            Rawessence

Comment

Here is another effort

I may have gotten carried away with the background of this manipulation as well, but here it is anyway! Practice makes perfect!

Rawessence
              Last edited by Rawessence; 12-21-2003, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Here's a pic of my boy. Not necessarily a great shot but I like the similar blur effort to your work and how it picks out his eyes. You are obviously having a lot of fun. In your last work there were just two things that came to mind: Hard light/Soft Light and maybe some edge blur. Anyhow, let's all gitty up!

Cheers
                Duv
                Attached Files

Comment

I loved your picture with the horse. You did a nice job on the makeup of the first picture. How did you do it most of the time I can't get the color right you have a nice smooth finish

Comment

How I did it....

Thank you for the compliment:
                    In short, I did the following (tweaking as necessary)
                    1. Run Guassian Blur over portrait
                    2. Take a history snapshot
                    3. Undo Guassian Blur
                    4. with history brush set to low opacity, paint in foundation alternating between the lighten and darken modes

I found this technique in Katrin Eismann's Photo Restoration and Retouch p. 314. You can see the complete technique and example if you access to the book.

RawEssence

Comment

Duv's suggestion...
                      Here is my attempt at balancing the lighting. I used an adjustment layer and layer mask to lighten the background. Then, I made the horse larger so she wouldn't look like she was riding a pony. I hope this is a little better, though.

RawEssence

Comment

I hope to see your pic. By the way, I stopped off at your website and really liked the way you did the before and after of this threads original pic.

Cheers
                        Duv

Comment