Let's try this one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's try this one

I've changed the background, and attempted to make it more compatible with the subject by adding a few scratches and giving it more of a look of deterioriation. Did I do enough? I don't think I'll do any more with the subject. Don't be kind!

Ed
    Attached Files

Hi Ed!

... I really think it's stunning!!!!

The only thing I'd do differently is switching the sharpness .... meaning blurring only the background 'curtain', (which now seems a bit sharper than the subject), as to make the gentleman stand out more ....

Comment

Wow, Ed, that looks really good! You've done an outstanding job of matching tone & grain.

Comment

Flora,
        Thank you. Of course, blur the background a little. Shudda thought of that.

jch71566,
        I said "Don't be kind", but I'll take it. Thank you.

Ed

Comment

Excellent job on the background. I agree that it could be a bit more out of focus.
          There's two things that stand out....Is that how the guy's eye really looks?
          There's a slight smear (for lack of a better word) across the drapes in the upper left hand corner.

Comment

I don't like it. It stinks! My cat could have done a better job.
            There, do you feel better?

Cheers
            Duv

Comment

There seems to be a paler halo or fringing effect around some of the suit. And I see what Vikki means about the eyes - they are a little bit mad and staring (did you paint on those catchlights?). Other than that, a good job.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Duv made my day! The smear was an attempt to make it look like it was cloudy, due to deterioration. I guess I didn't succeed on that. I had to look for the halo, and I see what you're talking about. But it's not noticeable on the .psd file. I appreciate your time to take a peek.

Ed

Comment

Hi Ed,

Great job on the curtains.

To my taste the suit is too dark, all of the tones in this feel pshed to the whites or the blacks unnaturally. Although it shows the art work hidden in the dark ares to the side the attached is what feels more natural to me for the suit and the face.

The shadow of the man on the curtain is way cool!

Roger
                  Attached Files

Comment

Forgot to mention in previous post - while the shadow is cool, I think it's in the wrong place. From the highlights on his face and hair, it looks as though the main light for the picture is more or less directly in front of him, and up fairly high - yet the shadow is being cast out to one side and upwards, as if the light were off to one side and low down. But that's just me, and I've been playing around with portrait lighting recently so I've got into the habit of looking at any portrait shot and trying to work out what the lighting setup used was, which is probably why it struck me.

Comment

Thanks for the input Roger, and again, Leah. You people have eagle eyes! I didn't even notice the "shadow" until after I saved a .jpg version, and I didn't think anyone would notice. It was unintentional!! It is the result of pasting a saved selection. I still haven't figured that one out. The shadow has long since been removed. When I did notice it, I immediately had the same feeling as Leah --- it's too high to keep!
                      Vikki asked about the man's eye, and I forgot to reply to that. That's his natural eye. I have another portrait of the man, with different lighting. The eye appears much worse on that one.

Ed

Comment

I want to see Duv's cat enter the "If cats restored old photos" Gallery Challenge

Good work, Ed. It has a nice feeling of depth. Perhaps his head is a bit too sharply cut-out? I think you wrote a tutorial on that subject
                        Learn by teaching
                        Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Ed can't add any "nit pick" that has not been said already --- But my first thought when I openend the image was how well you "cleaned" this gentlman up. Wonderful job.

Now don't get mad at me for giving a compliment! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nelson
                            Perhaps his head is a bit too sharply cut-out? I think you wrote a tutorial on that subject
                            Yeah, I did. I *thought* I had it covered pretty well, but maybe it needs a little more. Thanks for the comments.

Jill, how could I get mad at you? Thank you very much.

ed

Comment

Working...
                            X