Enhancing a defocused photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enhancing a defocused photo

This photo is from a help requested thread on a SLR camera sig (BTW, I don't have any SLR )

My basic strategy in this case :
    Copy Green channel-->Apply High Pass(or Unsharpen Mask)-->Apply paint brush(50% gray) or History Brush-->Apply Image to a Layer set to Luminosity

+ to enhancing face contour I've tried Smudge, Dodge, Burn tool.

...Please take accounts of my short expression skill in English.

In fact, I've experimented with some inexperienced retouch steps. And I would be appreciated for your comments, critiques, and suggestions.
    Attached Files

Sharpening

Well your sharpening looks like it helped your image a lot. I am an amateur photographer. If I need to do aggressive sharpening I usually copy the layer and run a high pass filter on that layer and use overlay as the blending mode for that layer. Many times I will mask out areas in the layer that do not need this aggressive sharpening.

Another way is to copy the layer and set the blending mode to luminosity and use the Unsharp Mask Filter. Some switch to Lab Mode and sharpen the lightness channel which I believe amounts to the same thing.

Finally using the stylize find edges filter on a copied layer in overlay may help.

Comment

"Another way is to copy the layer and set the blending mode to luminosity and use the Unsharp Mask Filter. Some switch to Lab Mode and sharpen the lightness channel which I believe amounts to the same thing."

Uh Oh Phil!

Now you did it. Wait 'til Duv and Ro hear that!

k

Comment

I heard that!
        Originally posted by Ken Fournelle
        .....which I believe amounts to the same thing."
        As my maths teacher explained differential calculus "The difference is the thickness of the skin of a flea's kneecap". It's more of a personal preference really.

Back on the subject, here's a trick that sometimes improves a photo:
        1) Separate luminosity ;
        2) Duplicate, and run High-pass radius 2;
        3) Auto levels on this HP2 layer and run High-pass radius 1;
        4) Change blending to Linear Light and lower opacity to taste (+-40%);
        5) Blend all this back into the original as Luminosity , masking out unwanted sharpening ;
        6) Sneaky trick: add some grain, this fools the eyes into seeing things sharper.

Doesn't solve all the problems, but should help out.

Attached Files

Comment

I actually wanna see the final effect on the first picture with the same size. one way I sharpen the image is just change the image mode to LAB and apply USM on L channel.

Comment

Originally posted by realaqu
            I actually wanna see the final effect on the first picture with the same size. one way I sharpen the image is just change the image mode to LAB and apply USM on L channel.
            Regret to say, I have only downsized PSD.
            Thanks all for sharing your techniques.

I've tried to enhance the previous work somewhat.
            (most used tool : smudge, blur, dodge, burn)
            It was something like drawing and painting on a canvas.

What do you think about it? Any critics and suggestions are welcome~
            Attached Files
            Last edited by venivedi; 04-13-2005, 01:19 PM.

Comment