smudge painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smudge painting

looking through the archives i found a post on smudge painting and thought i would give it a go, problem was none of the links were live, so i am not sure what it should look like, had a go though what do you think ? does anybody know am i close ?
    i will also post the original

ps i havent added any brushstrokes ( tried the crosshatch and quite like it) or textures yet

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...mudge+painting
    Attached Files

Seems like you've got the hang of it pretty good.

Originally posted by palms1
    ... i havent added any brushstrokes ( tried the crosshatch and quite like it) or textures yet
    As I had understood it, the streaks left by the smudging are supposed to mimick the brush strokes. So you wouldn't actually add anything, just enhance from streaks to strokes.

(cute - "streaks to strokes", got the title just got to write the book now!)

Comment

[please, disregard this - my opinion has changed ]
      BTW, the reason that it's difficult to find up-to-date links about smudge painting is (IMHO) because the folks have discovered other, better, methods to do the same thing.
      The problem is that when smudging you lose the reference to the original - you can only smudge more, you can't recuperate what's lost.
      [/disregard]

[new]If you like smudge painting then there ....[/new] Two other methods to look up (using Photoshop) are the "Stamp Pattern Impressionist" and the Art-History Brush - you should find links and even a tutorial for these.

Last edited by byRo; 07-06-2005, 05:36 AM. Reason: My opinion changed....

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Ro I will practice a bit more on this method (found it quite relaxing and a change from using a filter or action) I will also look up your other suggestions
        thanks again
        palms

Comment

palms1,

that's a great look!

i was wondering if you could put a background to it, something simple.

the one thing i'm wondering about too is, along the upper edge of the cat, the hair shows nicely with a feathering. but along the left lower edge of the cat, it's all rounded off with no feathering. is this part of the style? it looks cut off sort of.

as to the style and how to do it, i defer to Ro but it is a great look. i could easily see something like this hanging in a living room.

Craig

Comment

Hi

Hi Craig
            Firstly this was just a have a go picture to see what was what, I had just opened the original again to start a "proper go" when your reply came through,

When doing the smudging firstly i done little strokes on the middle of the body and on the head area, then i tried "scrubbing" on the back area, the little strokes gave the better feathering appearance i think, plus as you can see on the original when i took the photo i missed part of the rear end and cloned that part on, Now i dont know wether to carry on with this picture or take another ( the model is always willing and able and dosent complain much either ) It also looks good printed out but not on glossy also am able to see bits where i missed smudging or done to much

As for the background i think one would look good and possibly a cushion of some sort but last year i bought a framed sketch of a tabby kitten which has no background and wanted to sort of copy the effect, ( it is black and white which is why i have also tried that )

Palms
            Attached Files

Comment

hi palms1,

yes, i thought maybe this was a test run to get some feedback. so, ok

i do like the effect and in seeing your second post i can see why you left the background out. that's some great contrasts going on there.

but it's the back of the cat, the lower left that doesnt quite work for me. your 'scrubbing' method is fine for the internal portions, but the smaller, feathering of the upper part of the cat looks so much better....again, to me. i dont mean to be cruel here, but when i look at the left half i keep being reminded of a football the shape and cut-off edges just have that shape to it. the front portions just blend so much better with the backdrop and work naturally into it.

have you tried printing this on a canvas type paper, maybe a very light one? and i think this would make a great iron-on for a t-shirt also. a matte print would work also. just leave your image background as transparent and print it out on matte paper. same with the iron-on. it might also look interesting on an onion skin, but i'd do a test first.

i'll bet your subject works for peanuts, takes long breaks, and wears a 'got milk?' t-shirt

as for whether you start over or work with the existing, i'll be interested in seeing them.

Craig

Comment

Thanks

thanks craig for input

i will be back

Comment

i risk over-critquing here, but i wanted to illustrate what i was saying. please understand that i really like the technique and would love to hear more about how you achieved it.

the first image here is your original with a simple frame/border.

the second is your original cropped a bit with a frame/border added. this one works for me. maybe it's the added part of the cat you cloned in that bugs me, so i just cropped it out again.

and the third is just another crop, tighter, for a different look, with a frame/border. the tighter crop is to highlight your technique and show it off a bit more. this one also works. it communicates the sleeping cat and the technique.

forgive me if i'm pushing a point i already made. i would just add that 2 and 3 are marketable (with or without the border) and that i'd be proud to display such a piece.

Craig
                  Attached Files

Comment

No worry's

[
                    CENTER]Don't worry Craig I am REALLY glad of your input I do think that it is the cloned in part that is really wrong, So i will try and get another shot over the next few days ( no doubt she will go to sleep outside now the sun is out )
                    I never would of though of cropping, it is like a different picture again and my preference is the third one [/CENTER]
                    ooooh it is exciting when something starts coming together nice
                    and like i said earlier i will be back

thanks Craig

Comment

palms1,

ok, good

Craig

Comment

I'm back

Well cat hasn't co operated yet and struck up the pose i wanted so had a look at the first one and rounded the rear area up and noticed that some of the problem is the direction of the brush stroke

So had another go at a different pose, one problem with it is the edges not sure what to do it looks jagged but if i smooth them they look just as bad

but the technique is quite interesting all the different effects with different brushes etc dug out the pen tool (not sure which i prefer ) another problem i was having was doing the left side of the face (right handed ) so flipped the image and hey presto easier then when finished just flipped it back ( i know i am slow on the uptake )
                        Attached Files

Comment

palms1,
                          i like the second one. i wouldnt do a thing more with it. it looks great.

now, notice in your second one, the back end of the cat, and there's your secret to fixing the first one. i had to study all these for a while and finally made one tweak to your original to demonstrate what i mean. i dont consider this finished, but just to demonstrate. i took the eraser and just made ONE cut down his back side. just one, about 50-60 pixels wide and that's all. i didnt try to make this clean or anything; just wanted to show you what i mean. what'cha think?

Craig
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi

Craig
                            I do see what you mean about the first one, i had been looking at a more rounded shape where you where looking at a flatter shape ? and i think you are right
                            although there is a part of the second one i don't particularly like (not the edges) but haven't said anything to see if it got any body else,( and just incase you go looking for it and find something else it is the left handside of the face it looks to chubby for me, but i think it could be the pose you think by now she would get it right ) The first one is still my favorite by far and will get it sorted printed and framed soon
                            thanks for the help

I will have to have a go at a landscape next with this style see how that goes

palms

Comment

well, the thing is, i only made the one swipe to sort of see for myself what i thought was off. that you might want to make that swipe more or less, or round the edges i left or whatever, might turn up something even better, but i do think the roundness was what was off.

and as for the second one, if it's too chubby, cut it off ultimately, it's your eye that has to be pleased, not mine (though i may covertly, secretly print one of these myself )

i do like the style and you've done a very good job with it. i look forward to seeing the landscape... after you finish the cat(s)

Craig

Comment