HDR messing around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDR messing around

After starting a thread about dynamic photo hdri, it has become quite popular so i thought i would widen the original post to include any software and to do it in anyway.
    orignal post
    http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sof...hoto-hdri.html

Mainly we are all learning here and trying the different techniques available out ( maybe if CJ reads this she could start a thread in the photography section for those more advanced with the technique)

Anything goes really post your own image but please say which software you are using, how many images you have used etc etc, so that we can all learn something and of course the most important bit have some fun

Palms
    Last edited by palms; 11-12-2007, 09:50 AM. Reason: typo

Re: HDR messing around

I used the bracketshot function of d200 fixed 5.6 aperture and focus, with a side-flash,,, it was 7 shot(-3..0..+3), it was not linear timeing, so I did some post process at the raw converter of cs2 to set the exp. to linear time -3...-2.....+3. At last hdr was created by Photomatix, and tonemapped by QTPFSGUI software at the fatal function,,, had some desaturating -over the paper- and highpass sharpening over all, in cs2 as post process.

saby

600x900 ver.: http://www.retouchpro.com/gallery/sh...t//ppuser/9039
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by palms1 View Post
      ( maybe if CJ reads this she could start a thread in the photography section for those more advanced with the technique)

Anything goes really post your own image but plese say which software you are using, how many images you have used etc etc, so that we can all learn something and of course the most important bit have some fun

Palms
      I will do that, Palms! I want to do some HDR images and work them in Photoshop and then try trial versions of ones you've been talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by saby View Post
        I used the bracketshot function of d200 fixed 5.6 aperture and focus, with a side-flash,,, it was 7 shot(-3..0..+3), it was not linear timeing, so I did some post process at the raw converter of cs2 to set the exp. to linear time -3...-2.....+3. At last hdr was created by Photomatix, and tonemapped by QTPFSGUI software at the fatal function,,, had some desaturating -over the paper- and highpass sharpening over all, in cs2 as post process.

saby

600x900 ver.: http://www.retouchpro.com/gallery/sh...t//ppuser/9039
        Very nice Saby could you please shed some light on Linear timing ? as in what it means please

Palms

Comment

I took my camera out for a walk in a local park earlier so that i could try out the AEB (auto exposure bracketing) on my camera this is set at eV0 ev-0.67 and ev +0.67 according to the manual will have to have a good read through to see if this can be changed (this is just a point and shoot low budget camera )

Any way here is what i came up with
          1st the original
          2nd using the 3 shots
          3rd using just one image
          all in HDRI

I havent took them into Photoshop at all, this was just done as a experiment (not that sure i like them )
          Word of warning though i did not use a tripod and on some of the other shots used i must of wobbled but not too worried as the originals are ok and with some more messing around in HDRI i might be able to line them up better

CJ
          Palms
          Attached Files

Comment

Can someone tell me an account to use for posting these large image sizes? Seems a shame to take a 10mg HDR and drop it to 100k.
            I tried this but they don't allow hotlinking. Anyway if you want to copy and paste in your address bar... wmblake.20m.com/photo.html
            My latest effort with 2 of the 3 origionals. These are merged in PS, shot with sony f717 one full stop apart with tripod.
            Slight bit of PS. Crop, bump levels togather for saturation, slide green in hs cuz I wasn't happy with the accuracy of the color of the jacket.
            Last edited by crazyfly1; 11-12-2007, 11:03 AM. Reason: No hotlinking from that website

Comment

Crazyfly if and when i need to, I use imageshack (free), which allows files up to 1.5mb, If there are any others that allow bigger files someone will come along and post the info.

That is a great image, shame about you in it only joking of course, interesting to see how people react to being hdr'd

Palms

Comment

Very nice Saby could you please shed some light on Linear timing ? as in what it means please

Palms
                Hi Palms,

I mean at the raw converter of cs2 increment of exp. should be an integer not a floatingpoint number i call it lineartimeing may be there is a right word for, but i don't know, sorry

saby
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Palms,

I mean at the raw converter of cs2 increment of exp. should be an integer not a floatingpoint number i call it lineartimeing may be there is a right word for, but i don't know, sorry

saby
                  Please don't apologise Saby It was just a information gathering question as there are a lot of words related to not only hdr but photography as a whole that i (and others ) do not understand, and what better way to find the answers out ( rather than sit in ignorance) thatn ask

Palms

Comment

... a lot of words related to not only hdr but photography as a whole that i (and others ) do not understand, ...

Palms
                    I agree with U, especially about words of photography -example: f-stop- what realy mess in my mind.

saby

Comment

I agree with U, especially about words of photography -example: f-stop- what realy mess in my mind.

saby
                      I thought i would be helpful here ( as I didnt understand it either ) so i went to wikipedia for a explanation here is the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-stop

Had a quick look, my eyes glazed over the brain switched off and everything went over my head It is now filed in bookmarks till i get round to reading it properly ( probably never knowing me )

Palms

Comment

I read something by a member ( sorry cant remember who or which thread ) recently about animals not keeping still long enough for taking bracketed shots,

Well I knew better so here is the outcome done in hdri
                        1 the orignal
                        2 using three shots
                        3 using the B&W filter in HDRI

by the way I would have had enough time to take at least another 2-300 shots before she woke up

Dont think the subject really works for hdr unless someone knows better ?

Palms
                        Attached Files

Comment

Dont think the subject really works for hdr unless someone knows better ?

Palms
                          Not unless it stops breathing

Seriously the little hairs move as the cats chest expands slightly when breathing. It looks as though the head came out real good though.

Oh, and try using just 2 of your captures to make the HDR, that could help a lot.

Comment

Thaks for the tips crazyfly will have another look tomorrow,

do you always use the -2,0, +2, stops ( you can change/select them in hdri) or could you use say 4 or even 6
                            sorry to put you on the spot, I could always try this tomorrow as well just a thought

Palms

Comment

After playing with HDR or something like it for a couple of months or so I feel as though I'm still just getting my feet wet. I don't often find it possible or convenient to bracket but I've found I can get interesting results, even if it isn't real HDR, using one image.

These were tonemapped in Artizen from single RAW files.
                              http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...2007/birch.jpg
                              http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...tr_bridge2.jpg

Glad to see some space devoted to this subject. Hope I can learn a thing or two. Or three...

Comment

Working...
                              X