Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Slides ?

I received a slide scanner for Christmas a Plustek opticFilm 7200
    Started to scan some slides and found some have faded and many have dust and hair paticles on them.

What is the best way to clean them and what materials will I need ?

Some things I'v googled:
    Fellows "Perfect Clean" cloth

Anti-Static, Film Cleaning "Tiger Cloth™" from Kinetronics

Naphtha (what is Naphtha ?)

Rexton film cleaner is a time-tested, neutral pH (acid-free) effective liquid cleaner that safely removes: fingerprints, grease ...

PEC-12, Photographic Emulsion Cleaner

You can go to any arts & crafts or art supply store and get a can of Bestine, which is simply heptane in a can.

Went to Office Depot to find some supplies for cleaning the slides they were not much help there, I purchased a can of non fammable cleaning duster, removes dirt and debris on computers, audio, video and other office equpment moisture and residue free ( Question is this okay to use on slides ?)

also stopped by a photo shop no help there either

All suggestion will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Re: Cleaning Slides ?

i'm surprised a photo store couldn't help you...i would use a camles hair brush for the dust and then get some film cleaner made for slides, preferably something that doesn't come out of a spray can...

http://emsdiasum.com/microscopy/prod...ic/static.aspx

Comment

Pixsel

Thanks for Your input
      much appreciated

Comment

VueScan software works with virtually any scanner, and does an amazing job ignoring scratches, mold and other problems. I have a Nikon V sanner, and use both the Nikon software and the VueScan, because each has its own strengths and weaknesses. You can try it for free: www.hamrick.com

Comment

Coraki, if the slides have been kept in their containers and just have attracted dust particles, I would recommend using an air compressor. Don't use those cans of compressed air as they can very easily leave a residue on you slides and the chemical propellent is not at all healthy. Instead, an compressor with a 5 gallon tank or even one of those small compressors used to inflate auto tires may be a good investment if you have a lot of slides to scan. They sell hand trigger nozzles for them. I also recommend an inline filter which will keep moisture from the tank from getting on your slides.
          If you actually need to clean the slide because it has dirt on it, I would recommend >90% Isopropanol. Most pharmacies sell 90 - 99% solutions of it. Don't buy less than 90%. Many of the film cleaners you buy in Photo supply stores are mostly Isopropanol anyway if you read the label. It won't harm the emulsion and won't leave any residue.
          Regards, Murray

Comment

Hi all! New member here with a problem, spots on slides. I dug up this old thread and some others and it seems like alcohol, not the drinking kind, is the solution. Does this still hold true or is there something new and better?
            The slides were processed by Sears through their mail-in program I beleive. This was in the late 60's and now I want to copy the slides to the computer but they have red and blue spots that I'd like to clean off.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by truck196 View Post
              Hi all! New member here with a problem, spots on slides. I dug up this old thread and some others and it seems like alcohol, not the drinking kind, is the solution. Does this still hold true or is there something new and better?
              The slides were processed by Sears through their mail-in program I beleive. This was in the late 60's and now I want to copy the slides to the computer but they have red and blue spots that I'd like to clean off.
              I would examine these under a strong magnifying lens to determine if they are some substance which has been deposited on top of the film, or if they are actually places on the film where the emulsion has been degraded by moisture, chemicals, light, or mold. If it is the former, then isopropyl alchol (99% preferably) will most likely remove them without damaging the film. If they are the latter, then they will likely not wash off and you will need to remove the spots with post processing after scanning.
              Test on one slide that you can afford to destroy just in case.
              Make sure you do not use rubbing alcohol which is only 70% isopropyl.
              Do not rub hard on the film as the emulsion bond may have weakened with age.
              Be sure to use lint free cloth or lint free lens wipes.
              Good luck.
              Cheers, Murray

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure it isn't dust or dirt because the slides were stored in the carousel inside the carousel box.
                I'll try the alcohol on a throw away slide, I have lots.

Comment

PEC-12 is very good for heavy dirty slides. And there's always water and Photoflow, soak the film for awhile, dry in a clean environment.

Comment

I tried alcohol without success. Now I'll scan the slides to the computer, warts and all and try to fix them electronically at a later date.
                    Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

I go to the pharmacy counter and get swabs on long wooden sticks, They're not on the shelves, so you have to ask for them. They aren't puffy and linty like regular Q-Tips and the long sticks make them much easier to handle than boxed Q-Tips. You can get a bunch of them for less than a dollar. With these and a bottle of slide-cleaning solution from my camera store, I get fantastic results on old slides.

Comment