Storage of old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage of old photos

I need to buy new acid free boxes and envelopes for old family photos.

Should I buy the mildly alkaline type? It makes sense to put them in an alkaline environment, but I thought I'd get some expert opinions.

Also, I already have opaque Mylar large envelopes (silver colored). These aren't specific to photographs. Should I use these as a secondary barrier, or is that dangerous business?

Re: Storage of old photos

Lynda,
    Much depends on what you mean by old. Prints can vary a lot in their chemistry depending on when they were produced. As a general rule, a neutral pH is best when the ages vary.

Stay away from the mylar envelopes you describe. Plasticizers in any plastics tend to leach over time and can cause harm. Plasticizers tend to become gummy and corrosive.

You should really sort out the older images, determine their type, and store differently based upon that. And, of course, re-photograph all of them for archiving purposes... just in case.

Comment

Re: Storage of old photos

I have images dating from the mid-1800's. I've had them well-stored, but I hadn't really thought of doing specific storage, or specific pH, for different types. Thanks for the tip, some are really excellent and I'd hate to lose them.

I worked at a commercial photo lab in the 80's, so I have medium format negs of everything. I probably should be storing those more carefully, too.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• annieprime
        copies of old photos
        by annieprime
        I live in South Florida and I need a place to have some old photos reproducted to give to my children and to show. That way I will preserve the old originals. Any place to take them that is reliable?
        Ann
        07-10-2007, 02:18 PM
      • shane_thib
        Old photos
        by shane_thib
        Can anyone tell me where I can get free old/damaged photos to "practice" on?
        02-19-2009, 02:54 PM
      • Ben
        Old Photos
        by Ben
        Hi
        I'm not sure that this is the correct discussion group to ask but I have found lots of old family photos which are irreplaceable. I have scanned them and at the moment they are on the hard disk of my computer.
        Q1 What is the best technique for storing old photos?
        Q2 What is...
        03-13-2006, 06:20 AM
      • thomasgeorge
        Proper Display
        by thomasgeorge
        One of the main killers of old photos is improper display. As more and more folks begin searching through attics,basements, old trunks etc., the number of old photos being dragged out and displayed is increasing and with that the need to educate your customers on the proper display methods so as to...
        12-05-2001, 07:30 PM
      • Frank Lopes
        Old panoramic photos
        by Frank Lopes
        Pano shooting is as old as photography is, and while searching for examples of old panorama photographs I came across bionikmedia.com

They specialize in old black and white photos, vintage posters and panoramic photographs.

These are just some of the panos that caught my eye....
        11-25-2007, 07:42 AM
      Working...
      X