No announcement yet.

What was that old photo process called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was that old photo process called?

Very old photo that looks more hand drawn and colored by hand except for the faces. Image is on stiff cardboard. I used to know the name of this type of process but have forgotten. Its very old .....

any ideas?

Re: What was that old photo process called?

Sorry to respond so late. Actually, many were hand sketched, then lightly hand painted. The faces were always better, as that was their expertise. Plus, they did not have much time to do the sketches, so the face received most of the effort. In fact, many times the faces were really sketched, without caring what clothes the people were wearing. The artist drew in his own interpretation of their clothes to look formal.

If it is an actual print, it could still be a number of styles. I would suggest you review the most common image types at the Library of Congress website (here). That may point you to the right style much faster.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Paul2
      Old Photo
      by Paul2
      I have an old photo of my mother and some of her friends standing in front of an old car which I have just found out is a Jowett Javelin. The photo was in very poor condition and I've basically had to piece it back together again. The problem I have is that I need to blend the parts together to make...
      08-25-2007, 03:58 AM
    • philbach
      Old Sheldon Church
      by philbach
      About two days ago I took this photo of Old Sheldon Church located near Beaufort, SC. A very peaceful place now. It was built between 1745 and 1755. It was burned by the British Army in 1779. It was rebuilt in 1826 only to be burned again by the Federal Army in 1865.

At any rate feel...
      02-24-2006, 06:34 AM
    • sharynideas
      Try at reproducing old cabinet photo style
      by sharynideas
      Here is my attempt at duplicating the style of the old cabinet photo in my previous post. The lovely couple in the photo were photographed on their 70th anniversary. They had been married for 76 years before their deaths within four months of each other....
      08-01-2007, 05:18 AM
    • groovigyrl
      Colorized an old photo. How did I do?
      by groovigyrl
      Hi all,

This is my first attempt at colorizing a b&w photo. It's an old photo of my mother. I'd like to add it to my portfolio. Would love an honest critique. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/members/gro...
      11-10-2012, 01:40 PM
    • michael79f
      old newspaper photo
      by michael79f
      I recently had a request to repair/restore an old newspaper photo for a client. They no longer have the original clipping and the digital image they gave me has a LOT of problems. My inclination is to hand paint, but any suggestions on how to approach the problem would be appreciated....
      05-31-2013, 02:57 AM
    Working...
    X