Long-term storage of framed photographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long-term storage of framed photographs

A friend asked me for advice, I told her I didn't know the answer but I knew who to ask. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

"Advice pls. I have ended up with all the old giant family framed pics Mom had. I must shove them in my attic. The heat and possible moisture - not to mention the critters we pretend are never there - will not be kind, I know. But, no one wants them. I can't trash them. Is there anything I can wrap them or store them in that MIGHT be better than nothing?"

Re: Long-term storage of framed photographs

Probably best to remove the photographs from the frame and store the frame seperately if needed.

I think it would be preferable to store individual prints within an archival paper folder and the folders within an archival box such as Solander
    Solander box
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solander_box

Acid free paper and boxes
    http://www.archival.com/productcatal...valboxes.shtml

General info
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...ints_leaft.pdf

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• zea14
      Vintage photos, print advice needed
      by zea14
      Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for advice.

I volunteer for our local historical society and we have a huge collection of glass negatives from circa 1900. We've had about 100 printed professionally but the cost is outrageous. ($35 per 8x10)

I found I can take a digital...
      12-27-2011, 12:04 PM
    • Class
      Long Term Storage of Images: Various Types?
      by Class
      Prior to this post I searched this forum and read many posts on photo storage and I've also read various other web sites. I am starting the process of catalog a large photo collection of several thousands images and wanted to ask advice on properly storing them long term after they have been digitally...
      07-23-2012, 09:06 PM
    • Doug Nelson
      [Definition] RC Paper
      by Doug Nelson
      RC stands for "resin coated". I have no idea what resin they use, but it's basically photo printing paper with a fiber paper layer sandwiched between two sheets of plastic, with the printing emulsion on top of one of the plastic sheets.

Introduced in the mid-70s, its far and...
      01-31-2002, 06:18 PM
    • smiley guy
      restored document/certificate printing
      by smiley guy
      I have been given a couple of documents to restore--some older high school certificates--and was wondering about the best way to output them when finished.

The restoration is not the problem--just some water stains and creases--but wasn't sure about printing to maintain a "document"...
      10-07-2006, 12:13 PM
    • thomasgeorge
      Preserve and protect Ambrotypes from further deterioration/damage
      by thomasgeorge
      First, unless one is experienced and skilled in the complex methods of cleaning and restoring Ambrotypes or Daguerrotypes, it is wiser to take them to a trained and recognized Conservator..these old photo types are very succeptable to damage if handled wrong. That being said there are a few things an...
      01-03-2002, 08:55 AM
    Working...
    X