No announcement yet.

Old imaging technique

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Old imaging technique

    I have come across a number of old images which share a process with which I'm not familiar.

    The image looks like a standard photo that's been drawn over with pigment--not paint per se, but something like charcoal (the pigment does not rub off, however). The image is basically black and white or at least fairly neutral in color.

    Often, the images are about 11x14, done on thick stock. Sometimes, they are framed under oval, convex glass. The pigmented layer may flake off with age.

    Does anyone know about this technique and when it was popular?

    I've attached a rather poor snapshot of one if that helps.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Perhaps it's bromoil

    or carbon printing (carbro)
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning


    • #3
      Pre-Photoshop retouchers put dye or graphite on the negative and/or used stabilo or prismacolor pencils to add color/detail to the photograph. A matte spray was normally used to keep the pencil work adhered to the photograph. I am not sure if there is an exact name for the techinique but I see allot of it in varying degrees of detail. Hell, I used to do it up until a few years ago. I am usually amazed at how well these photographs hold up.

      I hope this helps, sorry I couldnt be more specific.

      Edited- This might be overkill if you already know this but here is the traditional retouching methods and supplies as per Kodak.
      Last edited by CourtneyConk.Co; 04-05-2004, 03:08 PM.


      • #4
        I know what you're talking about, and have seen these. Quite strange actually. I recently retouched one of those. Most of the image had faded, except for the "line drawing". I don't know what it is either. We have a member here, Jim Conway, that may know the answer to this.


        • #5
          Yes, Vikki, they do seem strange. Not quite a photo, but not quite a drawing either.

          Thanks for everyone's input.


          • #6
            This thread is quite old but I thought I would still give my opinion. I believe these prints are known as "crayon prints" and were indeed over painted with some sort of charcol looking substance, however the medium is quite embedded in the paper.

            These were popular before enlargements became practical, so a faint, soft image was enlarged and then details were drawn/painted by the photographer.

            I see quite a few of them in Australia.


            Luke Ingram


            • #7
              Charcoal type medium.

              Someone on an earlier post wondered how old this technique is. While literally digging through an old grainary last summer, we discovered a portrait of my 2nd great grandmother in an old oval frame. Because of the "preservation" this picture was in nearly perfect shape. We know this picture was taken somewhere between 1860-70. Plus we have a LOT of other pictures with the same or nearly the same technique taken between 1875 and 1900.

              I hope this helps. Maybe someone with accurate knowledge will step in and offer a better answer.
              Attached Files


              Related Topics


              • booklady
                Photograph Technique Puzzle
                by booklady

                I'm attaching a family photograph that I'm struggling with as far as identifying the technique. So, I'm looking for some expert advice.

                I'm dating it to around late 1800s to around 1900 based on my great-grandmother's age in the photograph. These pictures when...
                01-14-2008, 07:30 PM
              • voidsource
                WHat photo colorization technique is used here?
                by voidsource
                I was reading an article about ww1 photos that were colorized and just simply loved how it turned out to be. It feels really advance and would like to learn how they did it. If anyone has any tips as to how they processed it, please let me know, I would like to do such techniques on a black white that...
                05-09-2016, 08:34 PM
              • Conk
                What was your technique?
                by Conk
                Here is a very old image of a family member that is approx 90+ years old.
                I usually have no problems with blemishes shuch as tears, stains, missing area's or the like but what poses a challenge for me is the faded areas of an image.
                I have provided a sample image for those interrested...
                08-31-2003, 03:05 PM
              • Craig Walters
                A very old photograph
                by Craig Walters
                i wasnt sure where to post this, but this forum seemed the most appropriate. if not, could a moderator please move it to where it would be.

                this is, what i think, a photo of a photo. the original is apparently lost, but someone made a re-photo before the original was destroyed or lost...i...
                06-24-2005, 09:12 PM
              • thomasgeorge
                Preserve and protect Ambrotypes from further deterioration/damage
                by thomasgeorge
                First, unless one is experienced and skilled in the complex methods of cleaning and restoring Ambrotypes or Daguerrotypes, it is wiser to take them to a trained and recognized Conservator..these old photo types are very succeptable to damage if handled wrong. That being said there are a few things an...
                01-03-2002, 08:55 AM