gelatin silver prints v. vintage gelatin silver prints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gelatin silver prints v. vintage gelatin silver prints

quick (hopefully) question- what is the difference between gelatin silver prints v. vintage gelatin silver prints and why would a photographer choose to use one over the other?
    -thanks
    Renée

Originally posted by Nauset3TT
    quick (hopefully) question- what is the difference between gelatin silver prints v. vintage gelatin silver prints and why would a photographer choose to use one over the other?
    -thanks
    Renée
    I don't know if you'll find the answer to your specific question among these tidbits, but the site I found byis a treasure trove of information in this regard:

http://www.cycleback.com/

Gelatin-silver print: The popular form of photography in the 20th century. As described in chapter 14, they can be either 'printing out' (developed in sunlight) or 'developing out' (developed with chemicals).

Silvering: A form of aging typical to vintage gelatin-silver prints, where it appears as if silver has come to the surface of the image. (See chapter 14)

http://www.cycleback.com/baseballcards/14.html

-----------------
    Silver Gelatin Print - Introduced in 1872 this is a photograph printed on paper that has been coated with gelatin containing light-sensitive halides. Gelatin silver prints are the standard black and white prints still in use today.

-----------------
    Gelatin silver print (Chloro-bromide print,Silver bromide print)
    The generic name for the common black-and-white photograph. The process has been the main photographic printing process since its introduction in the late 1880s. Paper is coated with an emulsion of light-sensitive silver halide in gelatin. To produce a print, the paper is exposed under a negative, either by contact-printing or through an enlarger, then chemically developed, stopped, fixed, and dried. Gelatin silver prints are normally black-and-white, although they can be toned with various compounds or minerals to produce a wide range of hues. In addition, various commercial papers will also impart warm or cool tones to the black-and-white print.

A variation of the gelatin silver print, the silver bromide print is printed on a commercial paper with a bromide silver emulsion. This chemical process, available in the 1880s, was used for contact prints or enlargements by artificial light. Bromide prints have a baryta layer, a porous substance that produces tinted or clear white highlights. Usually toned with copper, these prints range from reddish-purple, brown, or slate to warm blacks.

Chloro-bromide prints are still another variation of the gelatin silver print. First introduced around 1883, they are printed on chloro-bromide paper with an emulsion containing both silver chloride and silver bromide, producing a warm, black-toned, sharp image. Chloro-bromide prints were often toned different colors, including red, blue, or purple and were favored by pictorialist photographers.

http://www.clemusart.com/exhibit/leg.../gloss-go.html

------------------

I googled "vintage gelatin silver print" "gelatin silver print"

so I could check pages with both terms. In reading a few it did not appear that there's any difference between the two phrases.

While "gelatin silver print" showed up in several glossaries, I did not come across any with the term "vintage gelatin silver print".

But don't take this as conclusive. Just what I was able to unearth so far.

~Danny~

Comment