Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore old photo

Hello Everyone,

A friend of my daughter asked us to see what we could do with this picture of her mother. What do ya recommend?

Thanks,

Denise
    Attached Files

by-the-way

what size is the best one to send, this picture came out awfully big on the screen.

Thanks again,

Denise

Comment

It looks pretty straight forward...perhaps adj. tone, crop, fix tears etc., sharpen...other than that I really can't see too much else...very nice photo by the way. It has a nice nostalgic air about it. Tom

Comment

It appears to me that the photographer of this portrait used a soft focus lens. To maintain the vision of the maker I would avoid any sharpening.

The most difficult thing I see is that when this photo was digitized it was not completely flat. Looking at the large tear, I can see that it is much lighter on the upper side than on the lower. I think I would try scanning again with some attention to flattening the photo.

On the lower left side it appears there is some tape damage, and all the detail is lost. I wouldn't crop this out, but rather I'd try to recreate the damaged area to retain as much of the original as possible. Not that shoulders are all that important; it just looks like a fun part of this restoration.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for your comments Tom. I think it is a nice photo too. It would definitely be worth restoring.

Zog, you are correct, the original picture was copied while not flat. I don't have access to the original and have been trying to figure out how to get the lower to match the upper. Using color-lighten seems to show too much.

Thanks,

Denise

Comment

Denise
            Don't let the size on the screen confuse you. To see what size it is you can go to View and hit show rulers or you can choose View print size or you could go to image>image size and look at the dimesions in inches. That will be the ultimate print dimensions no matter what you see on your screen.
            DJ

Comment

Looking more closely, I see that the photo has several different pieces, each of which has a slightly different grey scale. Definitely wasn't flat when scanned. Hummm...a bit tedious.

I'm thinking I would try to select each of these distinct areas, place them on layers and make adjustments to them to get them back in sync. No big deal if you work with a tablet, but quite a chore with a mouse.

Once the parts are matched, patching up the damage should go along quite easily.

Comment

I know you don't have access to the original.

Here is a tip if you did.

Place the photo on the scanner sideways. That way when the light moves along the flat bed it runs down the major crack on her chin. Because the light started its run from the top of her head it has thrown a large shadow at her chin line.

The scan isn't a big one. If I were to send away for a Pegasus print it would come out as a 6" x 4"

Sally

Comment

Thanks Sally,

Turning the picture would have helped a lot to do a better scan job. Anyway, this is what I finished up with. Did the usual clone and stuff and selected the darker areas and applied auto levels (tried manual but the auto looked better). Left some of the stuff not on face or right by it 'cause I like the old look. Didn't want to correct it too well. The only thing, I can't see that well on my monitor and where I did the levels adjustment I need to gausian blur a little. Looks too rough or something. Overall I'm pretty happy with my first restoration attempt.

Advice and criticism (just don't make me cry) welcome.

Denise
                  Attached Files

Comment

And you have alot to be happy about Denise. It turned out to be a beautiful restoration. Congrats on an excellent first in the photo restoration feild.
                    DJ

Comment

Lovely natural restoration

Denise,

Thanks for showing us your restoration. It is very nice.

I agree that a photo should maintain its original character. I would rather see a few of the flaws than something so smart and crisp that it looks painted.

Your restoration looks so natural.

Congratulations.

Sally

Comment

Very nice job!

Comment

Denise,

Very good work! It looks great. Now on to a large number of challenges!!

Ed

Comment

Nicely done, especially for your first time.
                            I like to keep the original look as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X