No announcement yet.

Dark Image

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• geezer
    Faded Photo Found In The Attic
    by geezer
    My daughter found this photo in an old steamer trunk in the attic of the house they just bought in Camben, Maine. She gave it to me tonight and asked if there was any way to bring out more detail. I understand the concept of layers but in practise I confess that I am unable to make the quantum leap...
    06-22-2005, 10:08 PM
  • AtlanaAnna
    Make an image clearer
    by AtlanaAnna
    I need to know techniques / suggestions about how to make the tallest girl in this picture easier to see and not so washed out?

Thank you,
    Sylvia Morris...
    10-27-2005, 03:29 AM
  • caroled
    Poley Family 1908 Fading-stains-streaks
    by caroled
    I just recieved about 10 very old pictures that belonged to my recently deceased father. These were in some file and not in albums. This one was one of the worst.

I am posting the original sepia photo and my first stage of work in a B&W photo. I started about 3 times and won't mind...
    01-21-2004, 11:47 PM
  • jimbo35
    How do I match a faded photo?
    by jimbo35
    Hi
    The attached picture of my grandfather was torn pretty badly at some stage over the years. I have spent some time repairing these tears and have cut out his profile with a view to replacing it onto a 'clean' retouched background layer.
    The problem I would really appreciate somebody's...
    04-09-2005, 10:14 AM
  • jakevalltrades
    Help with non-uniform faded and blurred photo
    by jakevalltrades
    Wonderful forum here, just discovered very recently. I need help learning how to touchup photographs that are faded, but not uniformly across the photo, as in this photo I am retouching for a friend. Fade appears to begin in lower center of photo and worsens to the right. Also a noticable blur begins...
    07-29-2005, 03:52 PM
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Image

Hi guys,

I'm stumped on how to get a decent image out of this image and any help would be appreciated. All my attempts seem to 'blow out' important parts of the action - grrrrrrr !

Many thanks,

Michael
    Attached Files

Hi Michael,

Not much to work with in any of the channels. Looks to me like the outer edges are faded more than the center. I thought it might help to start by making separate curves adjustments (inner and outer) to even it out a bit. I then added an overall levels adjustment layer, copied it all to a composite layer (Shft-Ctrl-Alt-E), then desaturated (Shft-Ctrl-U). I used simple radial masks on the curves as a quick test for this example - if you think this is an improvement you can probably get better results by spending a little more time with these masks.

- Kurt
    Attached Files

Comment

I didn't spend much time either. Copied the green channel into layers and did two layer adjustments: curves- one to lighten, one to darken. Then copied the layer, blending mode multiply, masked and filled it with black and used a soft white brush and filled in light spots. As with Kurt, if you think this is any better, you could spend some time and get a decent image.
      ~Nancy~

Comment

Kurt, Nancy, many thanks. Your efforts far exceeded mine. I'll dig into those hints, they've opened a new spectrum to my learning curves.

Cheers

Michael

Comment

Working...
        X