Help Identifying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identifying

The attached photo came out of a box of photos, most dating from 1905-1920. Can anyone help in identifying the uniform, branch of service, etc...I suspect Canadian, the spurs suggest cavarly...any ideas? Thanks, Tom

Special Effects Director at the riding academy, I'd say.

Comment

Possibly......Tom

Comment

I had the same opinion you did with his holding the riding crop and the maple leaf ensignia on his cap and lapel but I would think there could be some way to search out the info on the net. I would start with Canadian military uniforms. It's a nice photo. Really aged well.
        DJ

Comment

Tom,

I have what I think is an old sketch (don't really remember - -might be a photo) of a family member (pre-1900), who I believe was in the Canadian cavalry. I'll check to see if there are any similarities, and if so I'll post it along with any info I have if I think it might be of some help to you.

Ed

Comment

Thanks Ed. The owner of the photo is quite curious..he has no idea who the person is or how the photo got into his Grandfathers possession, but thinks it might be a relative of his Grandmother...He is checking with other relatives to see what he can find out. Tom

Comment

DJ, thanks for the input...I tried looking up uniforms but no real luck so far. The posted photo is the restored version...the original had some fading, scratches, etc..not very bad though. If nothing else I can always drive up the Border and pester the Canadian customs folks and the Mounties until I get an answer or arrested... Tom

Comment

You could try writing to the Canadian War Museum.

http://www.civilization.ca/cwm/cwme.asp

There is a link there for contacts with an email address.

Hope you find out - be sure to let us know what you find out.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks for the link Margaret, I'm off to give it a going over! Tom

Comment

Tom
                    I found something close in cut to that uniform at this site.
                    http://www.rootsweb.com/~canmil/ww1/army/equip.htm
                    DJ

Comment

Thanks DJ, I'm off to check out the link...Tom

Comment

Tom,

I dug that photo out and did a quick scan, but it doesn't look as though it will do you any good. I noticed that his uniform is buttoned on the wrong side, and I'm wondering if this wasn't a sketch that someone did from an ambrotype, then recopied on film? It sure looks like a sketch. I believe this was my great grandfather. Any ideas?

Ed
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ed, Very interesing! I agree..it looks like a sketch rather than a photo. The Bayonet type , ramrod and what I can see of the forestock and muzzle are very suggestive of mid-19th century muzzle loading military rifles although some of the early Martini rifles, popular with the English military looked similar as well. Same with the cap and uniform cut and the broad sash...almost looks like a member of a Scottish Regiment...perhaps a Cadet?
                          My "Unknown" soilder still remains unknown...after exploring the links posted above a date of 1914 -1916 seems reasonable, most likely Canadian ( about 100% sure of that from the cap and insignia) but the riding gear ( crop, pants spurs and bandoleer) are still a puzzle as is the meaning of the two hash marks on the Right sleeve just above the cuff area. Perhaps the "get up" is ceramonial rather than functional? Perhaps this fellow was a senoir non-com or a commissioned Officer? Am still digging.... Tom

Comment

I'm not being facetious this time - honest!!

Could he be a riding instructor in the cavalry? Or perhaps he was learning to ride himself. The get-up looks to me like workmanlike, informal, riding kit. For formal attire he'd presumably wear long boots.

The hash-marks (chevrons) on his right sleeve might indicate his rank e.g. 1 for sergeant, 2 for lieutenant, 3 for captain etc. or whatever they have in the Canadian army.

Just a suggestion.

Comment

Sam, I sorta liked the first line of inquiry....would add a bit of flavor to my clients family tree....dont suppose the local Parson would find it amusing though, or perhaps he would...
                              Thanks for the info on the hash marks. I was a bit puzzled by lack of a side arm, although if that is informal training type wear, that could explain the absence. Hopefully some input from the clients relatives will be forth coming...one in particular is up in her 90s and reported to be sharp yet, so.... thanks again! Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X