Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Troubles Making Seamless Tile!

Hi!

I have been scratching my head trying to figure out where I have gone wrong with making a seamless tile!

I found a few great tutorials on the subject and am using this one:
    How To Create A Seamless Tile

I have followed the directions (as far as I can see) perfectly, but I do not end up with my texture splitting the way they show in the tutorial.

I just end up with a big gap in between the tile and then nothing repeating on the left side. The tiled images are not centering in the offset screen at all. I am supposed to end up with 4 offset images and I just get two.

I have tried different values for the offset and I have tried several other tutorials using offset, but all give me the same wrong result.

Can someone help me and let me know what I am doing wrong? Below is a screenshot of what I am getting when I use Offset on a 200px image with vertical and horizontal offset set to +100.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    rnbluvva
    Last edited by rnbluvva; 10-02-2006, 12:24 PM. Reason: changed title

Re: Help: Troubles Making Seamless Tile!

All I can guess is your canvas is bigger than 200px.

My take on the exact same procedure:
    http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=214
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

hi natalie,

this works fine in psp xi. from all that i can see in your attached image, you need to move your sliders more. for the image i'm posting i had to go about 452 horizontal and 282 vertical. you also may need to do this on a layer and not the background, but not sure since i'm doing this in psp and not ps. i can see you have 'wrap around' set and that's right so the only thing left is the sliders or layers or layer settings.

craig
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nelson
        All I can guess is your canvas is bigger than 200px.

My take on the exact same procedure:
        http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=214

Doug! If I could reach through the screen and kiss you, I would.

I have been PULLING my hair out all day with this one.

My image was 200x200, but after reading your post I made it 150x150 and the darned thing WORKED! LOL LOL

I am giddy with joy! It was holding me back from completing something all freaking day long! LOL

I set the settings to wrap and 75x75 and it worked purrfectly!

Thank you, so, so so times infinity much!

Comment

Craig!

As always, thanks for being so helpful as well. You are always so friendly and ready to help and you get a kiss for that as well.

MUAH

Comment

Hey guys,

I did some digging around and read that Offset should work on images up to 300,000 by 300,000 pixels. I have no idea why it would not work on an image that was 200 by 200pixels.

Doug, do you know if for sure Offset should be able to work on images greater than 200px?

The only thing I can think is that it is a glitch in my Photoshop or my computer is so ancient it can't handle something in the computation. I have a 550mhz PIII running on OS Windows XP Home SP2, with 256MB RAM

Do you think that might be the problem?

Anyway, I sorted this out for now and made the web background I needed to for a project I am working on.

But now I am just curious about what filesizes it is supposed to handle.

Comment

Offset will work on as big an image as PS can handle. I have created some pretty large tiles using the offset filter. The offset filter takes very little processing power and little memory so it is unlikely a problem with your computer.
              If I use the move tool to drag a layer off center, and then apply the offset filter, I get exactly the effect you indicated at the top of this thread. Check to see that the layer you are applying the offset to is indeed aligned to the canvas.
              Regards, Murray
              mistermonday
              Last edited by mistermonday; 10-02-2006, 10:45 PM.

Comment

I could not replicate your problem, even using very large canvas sizes. The only thing I can think of, and it's a wild guess, is that perhaps your canvas is larger than the image you're trying to displace, or that you have "big data" outside the visible canvas area (ie: your layer is bigger than your canvas). Ctrl-a and Image>Crop to get rid of big data.
                Learn by teaching
                Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Craig!

As always, thanks for being so helpful as well. You are always so friendly and ready to help and you get a kiss for that as well.
                  i expect payment within the week and you're welcome

craig

Comment