Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any hope for this Moiré?

Hello,

This is part of a client supplied image for an ad running in one of the publications I do image retouching for. As you can see there are horrible moirés in the fabric pattern on the sofa.

I've tried just about every technique I could find in the books I have, searching this forum, and looking for other online tutorials. It has my supervisor and I both stumped!

Is there any hope for it? Help?

A smaller version of the file is attached, but if you want to see the full size image, you can get it here: full size image

Thank you!
    Attached Files

Re: Any hope for this Moiré?

When I look at this the pattern changes as you change the image size (on both the images you posted). I have also seen this happen on some of my own stuff.

If I go to print one of these type images, usually the pattern does not show up in the print.

So I guess what is happening is that the pattern appears on your screen when the resolution and size of the image match up with the dot pattern of the monitor, when you have the right pattern in the image to begin with.

Not really sure that that theory holds any water, but am always open to any other suggestions.

Comment

I was hoping for that too... but not only did we run a print in-house on our 7800, we sent it out to run on Kodak approval... its still there.

The really bad thing about this particular image, is it seems that no matter what you try to do to it, it gets worse.

Comment

See if you like this.

I found a section of fabric that didn't have a moiré, then created a pattern out of it. Created a full layer of the pattern and put the couch picture over it, erasing away only what was needed to reveal the pattern below, being careful to keep any areas of detail/edging. Then used dodge/burn to add back in the correct shading to make it look more realistic.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello,
          First I think for this kind of moire pattern Misterjp technique I think is the best route to go and his retouch was extremely good....

Now the following procedure not sure if you have seen....... but I can see it working for certain kinds of moire pattern... which you can maybe put in your ref list... it specifically for photoshop in mind....
          http://members.fortunecity.com/dleon...tips/moire.htm

Originally posted by PixelHawk
          Hello,

This is part of a client supplied image for an ad running in one of the publications I do image retouching for. As you can see there are horrible moirés in the fabric pattern on the sofa.

I've tried just about every technique I could find in the books I have, searching this forum, and looking for other online tutorials. It has my supervisor and I both stumped!

Is there any hope for it? Help?

A smaller version of the file is attached, but if you want to see the full size image, you can get it here: full size image

Thank you!

Comment

Very good job MisterJP... just wondering have you tried scanning at an angle... say 45 degrees.

Or two scans at different angles then recombining.

Butch

Comment

I added some grain to break up the moire.

Photo#1 = before
              Photo#2 = after

Edit: Tried to get a little better result..
              #3 = Hi Pass Filter .1 radius, 2 times,
              Ran the median filter on background layer.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BillFrey; 10-11-2006, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Hi PixelHawk,

if I haven't done it yet, welcome to RP!!

Don't know if it will be good enough for print, but, working on your full size image I followed (and tweaked) this great procedure... (thanks again for it, Rô!!! )

Originally posted by Mike
                When I look at this the pattern changes as you change the image size (on both the images you posted). I have also seen this happen on some of my own stuff.
                ... so true ... that's why my attachments are at 100% (which I think is the most important..) and 200% size ... if you view the image at smaller magnifications you'll still see the 'pattern' ...

Let me know if it's ok and if you'd like the exact 'tweaks' I used on your picture.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Flora; 10-11-2006, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Wow excellent Flora, care to share a little more info?

Comment

Wow! Some fabulous responses from all of you! Thank you! I can see that once again, there are multiple ways of achieving the same goal in Photoshop, and I plan on using each of these when the need arises.

Flora, thank you for the welcome... this is a fantastic forum! And yes, if you would be so kind... I'd really appreciate the tweaks you used on the image.

Funny how just as you start to think you're getting pretty good at something, you get humbled by a thing as simple as this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerryb
                      Now the following procedure not sure if you have seen....... but I can see it working for certain kinds of moire pattern... which you can maybe put in your ref list... it specifically for photoshop in mind....
                      http://members.fortunecity.com/dleon...tips/moire.htm
                      Hey, thanks for posting the link to that technique! I just had to utilize it for a scan, and it worked a lot better than the method I usually use.

Comment

hi keri,
                        thank you and your welcome..... I am glad to be able to contribute... I am real new to the boards...... and I am a cream puff compared to you and the other people how knowledable you are in using PS and the expertise you have... I just hope and can get at least a 1/3 as good as all of you are and contribut more...

Originally posted by PixelHawk
                        Wow! Some fabulous responses from all of you! Thank you! I can see that once again, there are multiple ways of achieving the same goal in Photoshop, and I plan on using each of these when the need arises.

Flora, thank you for the welcome... this is a fantastic forum! And yes, if you would be so kind... I'd really appreciate the tweaks you used on the image.

Funny how just as you start to think you're getting pretty good at something, you get humbled by a thing as simple as this.

Comment

Hi there

Here I thought I was going to have the answer... degrunge.... only to finally read the posts and see Flora had used it.... well I already had this to go so i will post it. I managed to get the picture much smaller without moiré...

Funny if I view this picture in XP file manager the moiré does not show on my computer at any resolution... but in Photoshop it does... go figure.

Butch
                          Attached Files

Comment

I can't believe how you guys have worked that image!

Edit: Ok, never mind about the what causes it question, I found the answer right here at RetouchPro!

Comment

Been playing with Ro's technique (thanks Fora for reminding me of it), and struggling mightily.

Then as Doug reminds us, I got a A-Ha moment and switched to view at 100%, and the technique which hadn't upto that point seemed to work, worked as it should.

Below is my attempt, nowhere near as good as some of the others, but for a first attempt with a new technique I'm reasonably happy (now to go away and practice with it).

For any Numptys like me who had trouble with this, this is my step by step guide. (I've just re-written Ro's excellent work slightly, by adding a little on how I got the radii for HP and GB).
                              • Set View to Actual pixels (100%).
                              • Copy image to new layer.

All the following are applied to the new layer.
                              • Desaturate layer (or you get color bleed in your final image).
                              • Apply High Pass filter, and adjust radius till you get MAX moire showing.
                              • Invert.
                              • Set layer blend to Linear Light, and set layer opacity to 50%.
                              • Apply Gaussian Blur, and adjust radius till Moire isn't seen and checks in sofa are.
                              • Apply layer mask and mask out all areas that didn't have Moire to begin with.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Gary Richardson; 10-12-2006, 06:37 AM. Reason: Wrong pic.

Comment