Image Security - watermarking maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Security - watermarking maybe

I am helping a friend scan old family photos ( hundreds of photos) with the intention of creating a large family album on dvd. Her family are located all over the globe so we felt the easiest way to let the family members see our progress was to place some of the old photos on a private webpage for them to see. The intention was for them to SEE the photos... not to download or print them... at least not till the project is complete. Unfortunately, there are always a few that want to take, take, take without contributing so we had to stop posting to the website for now.

My question is... is there a way to embed code or some kind of digital security into a digital photo that would disable the ability to print a photo. Or.. is there a way to place a watermark on a photo which will only show when the photo is printed? We want the family to see the photos.. we just do not want them to be printing them at this time.

Thanks for any help with this.

cheers;
    John
    Last edited by John_D; 03-16-2007, 11:30 PM. Reason: edit subject to include "help"

Re: Image Security - watermarking maybe

perhaps not the most elegant way to do so, but just using a program like photoshop elements and adding text to a photo, convert it to shape, then make it the size you want it to be. You can even mess with it's opacity and e verything to make it look better. I would even volunteer the help if need be and you don't have the resources to do so.

chris

Comment

if you drop your images into indesign, export as pdf, and in the security settings you can disable printing, making changes, etc etc.

the only other thing is to watermark the pics straight up, because nothing will really stop someone from doing an alt>printscreen....or command>shift>3

Comment

How do you think they are getting the images? Right-click, Save?
        How sophisticated web surfers are the people?
        They are a number of things you can do to make it a little more difficult to copy and save - but they can also get around all these things.
        In the end, anyone can hit PrintScreen on their keyboard and paste the page into MS Paint or any graphics program.

Comment

hi,
          this is my 2 cents worth and my answer is simlar to what been mentioned..

I have done my fair share of getting pictures off a website... and i been a ble do to it regardless weather there code that doesn't allow me to save.. or it's in a special format... etc...

The only sure way to deterr a person from downloading/printing your picturers is by putting in a big heavy water mark or there's text on the picture that "cripples the picture quality" sort of speak... in other word makes it difficult to to try to repair.. smile.... now you can also intentially make a picture so bad, (maybe heavy bluring) no one will not try to save a picture and print.. smile... if I don't want any one to downlaod and print i would put heavy water marks or a lot of print in the middle of the picture...

Originally posted by smak
          They are a number of things you can do to make it a little more difficult to copy and save - but they can also get around all these things.
          In the end, anyone can hit PrintScreen on their keyboard and paste the page into MS Paint or any graphics program.

Comment

Originally posted by cducasse
            perhaps not the most elegant way to do so, but just using a program like photoshop elements and adding text to a photo, convert it to shape, then make it the size you want it to be. You can even mess with it's opacity and e verything to make it look better. I would even volunteer the help if need be and you don't have the resources to do so.

chris
            I have been playing around with the watermarks and though it would be ok in some cases, I was hoping I could find a way to create a situation where the photo would show clear while it is viewed on screen, but a watermark would show on any printed copy. Would be even better if there was a real way to embed into the photo a code to stop the ability to print all together.

John
            Last edited by John_D; 03-17-2007, 11:11 PM. Reason: settings

Comment

Originally posted by Photo678
              if you drop your images into indesign, export as pdf, and in the security settings you can disable printing, making changes, etc etc.

the only other thing is to watermark the pics straight up, because nothing will really stop someone from doing an alt>printscreen....or command>shift>3

I use Acrobat Pro 8 for my document work... mainly for its security features. I have been experimenting today with acrobat to see if I can make it work for my photos. Acrobat has a few nice security features as you mentioned. One feature I like is the one where the watermark will not show while the photo is on screen, but will when printed. Unfortunately, what I have found today is that when I emailed the protected photo to my other system (which has only acrobat 8 reader), the watermark showed in the screen view as well, do to incompatibility with other versions of acrobat. I AM testing this method further though. It would be great if pdf will do the trick.

John

Comment

Originally posted by smak
                I have no idea which method of save they are using... and I do not know how computer savvy they are. I do know that one person had the photos downloaded about 5 minutes after receiving the link to those photos. And lucky for me finding out, I had the same photos deleted within 15 minutes of the link being sent. I could put big watermarks across the photos making them worthless to leechers, but I don't beleive those who are co-operative and considerate should be deprived of seeing the photos because of the actions of just a few.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Jerryb
                  hi,
                  this is my 2 cents worth and my answer is simlar to what been mentioned..

I have done my fair share of getting pictures off a website... and i been a ble do to it regardless weather there code that doesn't allow me to save.. or it's in a special format... etc...

The only sure way to deterr a person from downloading/printing your picturers is by putting in a big heavy water mark or there's text on the picture that "cripples the picture quality" sort of speak... in other word makes it difficult to to try to repair.. smile.... now you can also intentially make a picture so bad, (maybe heavy bluring) no one will not try to save a picture and print.. smile... if I don't want any one to downlaod and print i would put heavy water marks or a lot of print in the middle of the picture...
                  Would you be willing to test the security methods I come up with? I am not concerned about the downloading part... but would like somebody to test the security of the photo file and its usefulness. See how hard (or easy) it is to remove the security I embed into the photo file.

John

Comment

hi,
                    I don't mind, sort of honored.. but keep in mind I consider my self a novice with photoshop and the the gurus here they know a lot of tricks and techniques and probably a lot experience overcoming such preventing measures.. smile. ... but if you need a view from a novice.. go ahead... smile.. I'll give you my thoughts..

Originally posted by John_D
                    Would you be willing to test the security methods I come up with? I am not concerned about the downloading part... but would like somebody to test the security of the photo file and its usefulness. See how hard (or easy) it is to remove the security I embed into the photo file.

John

Comment

John, this may be a solution for you to try. There is a neat little program call gPhotoshow. You point the program at a folder of images and the program creates a slide show for you. It allows you to choose transitions and timing and will even play background music if you link a mp3 file to it. This is similar to what you can do in Poweerpoint and other such programs. HOWEVER, one of the options you have is to encapsulate the images and music as a self contained .exe so that it will run for someone who doen not have the program. Moreover, you can set the control options to abort when any key on the keyboard is hit. This means that the recipient can double click to watch the show only. If they try to hit the Alt Printscreen the show imediately aborts. The images are encapsualted in the .exe so there is no way to access them. If you are intersted in checking it out you can find it at http://www.gphotoshow.com. I think the price of the program is $20 or $29.
                      Regards,
                      Murray

Comment

Originally posted by mistermonday
                        John, this may be a solution for you to try. There is a neat little program call gPhotoshow. You point the program at a folder of images and the program creates a slide show for you. It allows you to choose transitions and timing and will even play background music if you link a mp3 file to it. This is similar to what you can do in Poweerpoint and other such programs. HOWEVER, one of the options you have is to encapsulate the images and music as a self contained .exe so that it will run for someone who doen not have the program. Moreover, you can set the control options to abort when any key on the keyboard is hit. This means that the recipient can double click to watch the show only. If they try to hit the Alt Printscreen the show imediately aborts. The images are encapsualted in the .exe so there is no way to access them. If you are intersted in checking it out you can find it at http://www.gphotoshow.com. I think the price of the program is $20 or $29.
                        Regards,
                        Murray
                        Thanks Murray.....
                        I downloaded the trial of gPhotoShow and am thinking of giving it a try later. My first concern with such an app is the "exe" extension. Most websites and email providers do not permit transferring of exe files. Their scanners pick up on them and classify the exe file as a risk or malware. I will try it out just the same. Thanks Murray.

I wanted to try a method I read about yesturday in a post here at RetouchPro but today I cannot find the post which explained the method. It was a method using shapes in PS. I spent hours today scanning old posts looking for it but have not found it yet.

John

Comment

John, I have experienced that problem with exe attachments and ISP screening programs. There is a way around that one as well. Change the exe to jpg or some recognized application like psd etc. Just tell the recipients of the file to change the extension back to exe before opening it.

As for the watermark link, I do not recall it either. However, here is a quick method of adding a watermark or the copyright symbol;

Open an image.
                          Select the type tool and type the copyright symbol or any other text you want to use for a watermark.
                          While you're still in the type tool dialog, click the color swatch, and set the color to 50% gray. (Use HSB values 0-0-50 or RGB values 128-128-128; both will produce the same result).
                          Click OK to exit the type tool.
                          Resize and position your text as desired.
                          Double click on a blank area of the type layer in the layer palette (not the thumbnail or the layer name) to bring up the layer styles dialog.
                          Apply the Bevel and Emboss effect and adjust the setting until it's to your liking.
                          In the layers palette, change the blend mode for the type layer to Hard Light.
                          Tips:
                          If you'd like the watermark a little more visible, try a color value of 60% gray for the type (HSB value 0-0-60).
                          Resize the type at any time by pressing Ctrl-T (Windows) or Command-T (Mac). Hold the shift key and drag a corner handle. When you apply the transformation, the type will resize with no loss in quality.
                          You are not restricted to using only text for this effect. Try importing a logo or symbol to use as a watermark.
                          The Windows keyboard shortcut for the copyright (©) symbol is Alt+0169 (use the numeric keypad to type the numbers). The Mac shortcut is Option-G.
                          If you use the same watermark often, save it to a file that can be dropped into an image any time you need it. Remember, it's always editable!

Regards, Murray

Comment

Working...
                          X