Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony
    replied
    thought I would try my hand at this also.

I had alot of trouble matching the background color and tone so I cut it out completely. Copied hers several times and shifted each copy to cover her until she was gone and I was left with just the background colors. Selected gausian blur to get rid of any rough lines. Pasting him back into the picture and in an new adjustment layer played with the levels a bit until the tones almost mached, but it still looked alittle faded so I duped the layer and changed it to overlay at around 50%. Then I selected new adjustment layer, channel mixer to fix the tone alittle more. Then I used render lighting effects to change the lighting abit. It could use alittle more work, but I didn't have alot time time to work on it.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• BigAl
    replied
    Tex, I'd swop them around (as in Phyllis's pic). That way one gets more of a feeling of them looking at each other.

Leave a comment:

• Vikki
    replied
    I agree with Phylllis, on both points.
    It looks great, and I'm sure they be quite happy with your results!
    But, I would do a bit of burn on his eyes, as they look a bit washed out.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Tex

Really nice job on the girl! However you need to darken the man's eyes--they are much lighter than hers.

Phyllis

Leave a comment:

• TheTexan
    replied
    Well, here is my final effort. I could never perfectly match the shadowing on his photo but without artificially placing shadows, a talent Im not sure I am ready to attempt, I think I got the two pretty close. Close enough to pass for a matched pair at the same sitting. Hope so. I appreciate everyone's help.

Tex
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Mig
    replied
    You're welcome and sorry for the confusion - I should've been more clear.

Mig

Leave a comment:

• Sharon
    replied
    Thanks Jeanie now I am just a little less confused.

Sharon

Leave a comment:

• jeaniesa
    replied
    Sharon,

I just learned something trying to figure out the answer to your question regarding (B) in the info palette. If you have the info palette open, then click on the little triangle in the upper right portion of the palette. This will bring up a menu - then choose Palette Options. Here you get to choose what form of readouts you want in your info palette. I would change the second color readout to be HSB (mine defaults to CMYK). That's the (B) you want to keep track of using Mig's technique.

Mig, I second Sharon's thanks for the dodge/burn on 50% gray layer. Wow - that's going to help me so much!! THANKS!

Jeanie

Leave a comment:

• Sharon
    replied
    Mig,

Your procedure for using dodge and burn on a 50% gray layer in soft light mode is a winner. I don't use these two tools much because of their destructiveness. But your procedure gives me the control I need.

I have a question regarding the info palette.

You said “An important part of all this is the info palette. By opening up this palette and running your cursor over different parts of the picture you can read the numbers for brightness (B).”

The only “B” I see on the info palette is the “B” in RGB. Is this the “B” you’re referring to. This tool has always confused me. I can see by your example that this is a powerful tool and I would like to understand it.

Thanks.

Sharon

Leave a comment:

• dcarr
    replied
    Rather than just sepia, I decided to try mixed tones. After selecting only the red channel, I converted the pic to grayscale. Then I selected duotones. using the color picker, I was able to watch the change in the photo. still no liking what I was seeing I switched to tritones and blended some shades of beige. That's when I got this version. Most importantly, as long as I've been using PS I play and play with as many pictures as I can to see what settings can look like. Just keep playing and you'll understand more and more.
    Debbie

Leave a comment:

• jeaniesa
    replied
    Tex,

The easiest way I know of to add a sepia tone is to create a new layer and fill it with a sepia-toned color of your choice. Then set the layer's blending mode to Color and adjust the opacity until you see the tone you want. (You can tweak it even further by adding a Hue/Sat adjustment layer that is grouped with the filled layer - than adjust the sliders to get the exact tone you want.)

There is a slightly more complicated version of adding a sepia tone in this tutorial.

Hope this helps.

Jeanie

Leave a comment:

• TheTexan
    replied
    dcarr,

Sounds like that will be a good try. Your pics look good. I havent really learned how the blending modes can be applied very well so what I need to understand is how to give color to a layer (other than color sliders) by blending a lower layer or some other method to give a natural look to the color applied. So that it doesnt look applied, if you know what I mean. Not that yours doesnt its just that I would like to know the recipe for doing it.

Tex

Leave a comment:

• chiquitita
    replied
    I did this before I read the last sentence where you said you wanted to match to the guy rather than the woman. Oh well.. anyway....
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dcarr
    replied
    I found the red channel in both were the closest in consistency. I deleted the other channels. I extracted him and placed him on a new layer. Then added a gradient matching hers. I adjusted the curves then experimented with tritones, since he liked his version.
    Then I applied the tritones to her and I think it softened her a bit. On my screen she looks closer to him now. There were many other tones that looked good as well, but I stopped with this one
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• TheTexan
    replied
    You guys are good, really good. This just goes to prove that you learn by watching. I did a luminosity mask and curved the shadows to be more consistant across her face then I used the lighting effects trick to make the lighting more interesting then I did similar to his. I would like some advise on how to colorize the pics. I think I should bring both to an even start of desat or grayscale and colorize them equally. But Im not sure how to reintroduce the yellow/sepia cast across the entire pic. And Im not refering to the background at all. Ill just place that there when this is all done.

By the way, my ideas havent produced a perfect match but Im still experimenting with it. I am convinced however after trying some of these out that getting a near perfect match is doable. Its just hitting on the magic formula.

I have always said "With Photoshop, if you can imagine it, it can be done."

Any other help would be appreciated.

Tex

Leave a comment: