Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and please help..

Hi,
    I've been lurking a while and trying to learn more about retouching. I must say that there are a lot of experienced folks here!
    Anyway I was faced with a challenge recently. I got an image that had a lot of noise in it. Now I don't know PS well enough to know if this can be done or not so I thought I would post it here and see. The image has a lot of blue and green noise in it. Is there anyway to clean it up that was not going to take many hours? Here is a section of it and here is a link to the actual big banana.
    Thanks in advance for all thoughts and responses. Cheers!

Link to the Big File
    Attached Files

1st, this is a lousy image, that I wouldn't try to save, but if I was held at gunpoint, I would do what I did. Now, to remember what the hey it was.
    PSP7. Adjustment layer, color levels. reduced the yelly as much as possible. Dialed in lotsa blu. Did the adjust twice. Color replacer on the spots. Huge amount of soften on the sky.................
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jonsien,
      Welcome to Retouch Pro and glad you decided to delurk finally. I don't know if this will help you or not but I have had alot of sucess with this plugin. It's free to download and even though it says Demo it's the full version in Beta form. As a matter of fact, I don't think they have the full version for sale. It really does an excellent job with grain. It called Eye Fidelity Tools and you can find it here. It's free so it's definately worth a try.

You might also give this technique a try. Switch modes to Lab and apply a soft blur to the A and B channels. That blurs only the color info with out affecting the image detail. It works in situations where the noise is located in the color information. Some digital photography can result in this problem.
      DJ

Comment

Hi jonsien,

First off, welcome to RetouchPRO! I'm glad you finally came out of hiding.

The problem with this picture is actually pretty easy to fix once you know how. It involves looking at the individual RGB channels and replacing the "damaged" one. I don't know how far along you are learning PS, so I'll start from the basics.

Click on the "Channels" tab (usually next to your Layers palette unless you've moved it.) You will most likely see the channel "RGB" highlighted. That means you are seeing the composite of all three channels at once. If you then click on each of the individual channel names, you'll be able to view each channel separately. Notice in this image that the blue channel contains almost all of the damage, i.e. the blue and yellow noise.

It is nearly impossible to repair this, so it is much easier just to replace it instead. I chose to replace the blue channel with the green channel. To do that, I clicked on the green channel to make it active. Then Ctl-A to Select All and Ctl-C to copy. Then click on the blue channel to make that one active and Ctl-V to paste. You have now just copied the green channel into the blue channel.

I worked on the entire image and it seemed to make the image look basically grayscale except for the red portions. I can't tell by looking at the original what the actual color should be or if it really is almost grayscale. In any case, I think it looks pretty cool! If you do need color somewhere, you might need to colorize those areas. (And if you need help with that, just ask.)

I've attached the before/after of the small portion you attached here so that you can see the result of the above procedure.

Very cool picture BTW!

Jeanie
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi and Welcome to Retouch Pro...One thing you might consider is to turn this into a B/W. You might try this:
          (1) select the channel tab in the layers palette
          (2) click on the red channel
          (3) press ; Ctrl+A ( selects the whole image)/ press Ctrl+C ( to copy it to the clipboard/
          (4) Now click on the blue channel/ select the whole image (ctrl+a) then press Shift+Ctrl+V to copy the clipboard image into the selection
          (5) click on the top (RGB) channel, press CTRL+D to deselect the image
          (6) Click the LAYERS tab
          (7) At the bottom of the tab is a little circle half black and half white. Click it. A menu will pop up. Select Channel mixer.
          (8) An adjustment layer will appear in the layers palette and a control window will open. Put a check mark in the MONOCHROME box, then adjust the sliders to adjust your image tone and so on. When done just close and flatten...
          Doing this will get rid of the noise etc and give you a very cool B/W photo...

Another thing you could do, if you have the plugin "BuzzPro", would be to apply simplifier one filter at a setting of around 500, go to EDIT>FADE BUZZPRO> select multiply blending mode and fade to around 60%....see attach....Good luck, and let us know how your project turns out!! Tom
          Last edited by thomasgeorge; 08-30-2002, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Ok, heres the photo!! Sorry...my mind wandered out the gate again....

Comment

WELL BLOW ME DOWN

Jeaniesa, you did well, I don't know about the PS channels yet, but will try this.
              thomasgeorge, yours looks very good too, but you said B&W in your text, the image is color.
              You both got good results but did it a slightly diff way.
              Verry interesting.

Comment

The posted photo was done using Buzz pro method which will preserve the color...I forgot to mention that...oops!!! Tom

Comment

Thanks!

That's a lot further than I managed to get. Great work everyone. I have one last avenue and am going to send the image to the guys at Asiva.com. I saw them at Macworld and they said that they specialized in color correction and image enhancement software, so we shall see how they do. They were showing some amazing corrections at their booth. If it's ok with everyone, I will send them the link to this thread and see if they can do anything with that picture. I will wait to see if there are any objections to this suggestion, before doing so.
                  Thanks again all, and have a great (and SAFE) weekend!

Comment

This is not the fastest method, but if you really want to save the pic, This is what I would do.... and I did a little VERY roughly on part of the picture....

First I adjusted the curves to lessen the contrast of the blue and green channels against each other, then created an empty layer for luminosity and for color. I used the surrounding color and luminosity to paint over the worst sections of the picture. This would require intricate masking of the plane, etc., which I did not do because I don't have much time, but you get the idea.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi jonsien!

Welcome to RP!
                      I might be late, but here is what I did to try restoring your picture:

1) I Run Brightness&Contrast on The Blue Channel, strongly decreasing both, to fade the damage.

2) I used Hue&Saturation to desaturate each colour cast.

3) I used the Curves to enhance the image a bit.

Being me, I also 'cleaned it up' a bit...and here is the result...

P.S. I work with PS7
                      Attached Files

Comment

jonsien, I don't see any problem with pointing the people at Asiva to this thread. In fact, I would be interested to see what they can do.

Flora, beautiful work as always!

Jeanie

Comment

Getting rid of colored noise

Jonsien, welcome! The plane pic was not as difficult to fix as it may have appeared. The secret is to analyze the photo first. This pic was taken at night with only the runway lights and other local lighting. The sky should be black! Not multi-colored speckles, but nearly all BLACK, with possibly just a hint of slight coloration. And sure enough, when you overlay a corrected curves onto the original, that is what happens (details in next post).

Bottom line: The pic you got was over-corrected or over-exposed or over-compressed or possibly all three, and it could not possibly be accurate, so we proceed by putting the accuracy back in.

I am putting a close up of a small piece of the pic here, so that you can see how the pixels (still visible due to the overcompression/low resolution somewhere in the life of this pic) are no longer multi-colored confetti, but all the same tones. A full view version may be found by clicking below:

www.innographx.com/nightplane.jpg

Phyllis Stewart
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by pstewart; 08-31-2002, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Continued from last post...

Here is what I did.

1. Channels--copied red channel and made it second layer.

2. Curves*--on that layer, adjusted grays in the sky till they were much closer, closed it, then did it a second time till the sky became ALL ONE SHADE OF GRAY.

3. Autolevels--to balance the highs and lows, turning sky nearly black.

4. Set blend mode to overlay. The sky and plane had lost their colored speckles, but some remained on runway, so...

5. Duped top red channel layer, set blend mode on this new middle layer to color, then used "color balance" to add color to this all gray layer, making shadows more blue/magenta, midtones more cyan/green, and highlights more yellow. This evened out the color of the pixels in all areas.

6. On this same layer, used a brush to touch up colored areas like backpacks, uniform stripes, lights on plane, etc. with their colors of red and yellow.

7. Top layer--used dodge tool on big flaps by nose of plane, and along tops of wings to bring out detail lost in shadow (selected these areas with polygonal lasso first to get sharp edges).

*If you have any questions on how to adjust curves, there are good tutorials right here, or you can find them on the web.

Again, see the whole picture at www.innographx.com/nightplane.jpg and see a close up of one section right here (above post).

Phyllis
                            www.innographx.com

Comment

Colored Noise

adding to the above, try here:

http://www.ledet.com/margulis/ACT_po...-blurring.html

and here:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/PSTV_links.html

Stevens' site under Noise,grain and descreening.

Comment