Photo restoration of my father in 1944

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• dweekley
    Help on Old Photo Restoration
    by dweekley
    Hi all,
    I downloaded an old wedding photo quite a while ago and attached is a close up of the head of one gentleman in the photo. Of course I didn't maintain the photo name so i can no longer find the thread to see how others handled it. Lesson learned.
    My question is related to how...
    06-19-2009, 04:56 PM
  • felinawi
    Photo Restoration Help - Grainy
    by felinawi
    Hi, I have this project ... this photo was really small, grainy and it looks a bit blurry and I am trying to restore it and possibly make it into a 8x10, but if not at least a 5x7.

I have more background work on imperfections but below are the links to the original scanned image (I scanned...
    03-25-2013, 12:25 PM
  • Daryl Pritchard
    Novice at Restoration - Comments on an Early Effort?
    by Daryl Pritchard
    Hello all,

The photo at http://jazzdiver.com/photoshop/restoration.jpg (205KB, 870x600 px) shows my efforts of editing an old family photo in an attemtpt to clean up flaws in the image and give it a bit of more contrast snap; the original is on the left, the edited version on the right....
    12-16-2003, 01:47 PM
  • rpm4242
    Antique Photo Restoration Guidance
    by rpm4242
    Hi,

I have performed quite a bit of work on restoring older photos thru Photoshop, but this 120 yr. old photo is presenting quite a challenge. I'm kind of having trouble knowing where to start. One of the main problems is that it is a picture of photo taken through an old dome glass...
    08-04-2008, 07:49 AM
  • TetoPR
    My first restoration, beginner PSCS2 (sub)user
    by TetoPR
    Original is a B/W 40 + years old foto. Exposed in a frame without any covering.
    Wanted to restore and not improve original.

Steps taken, more or less:
    1- Scanned to 600 dpi, RGB.
    2- Levels adjustment and cropped white frame and worst parts.
    3- Ran a Dust and...
    03-12-2007, 09:10 PM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo restoration of my father in 1944

Hello everyone,
    I'm back with another baby picture of my father.

I've gotten as far as I can on this with my current skill level. I have no clue how to handle that stain on his right arm. Also, I do not know how to deal with that HORRIBLE texture over the entire picture. Lastly I don't know how to deal with the discoloration in the shadows under the table and between his shoes. I've looked through a couple of restoration books, but nothing stood out as being able to help me.

So, what can I do to fix these issues? Also, what do you think of my work so far? I need objective viewers to give comments and suggestions so I can improve. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Photo restoration of my father in 1944

Hi Timmy, the image is Black & White so I would desaturate it or convert it to grayscale to get rid of the areas of stray color such as between his shoes. The pattern resulting from the textured photo paper is more difficult to illiminate. The fastest and easiest way to mitigate it is to use a good noise filter such as Noiseware, Noise Ninja, Neat Image, etc. It will be a trade off between the amount you want to blur the image bersus how much of the pattern you are willing to put up with.
    Regards, Murray
    Attached Files

Comment

Timmy,
      You may also want to consider rescanning or photographing the image again. The paper texture can be reduced dramatically by realigning the light source. Also, the "discoloration" you refer to looks like silvering - a normal product of age on images from this era. The silvering will only get worse on the original, so don't wait to get all the good scans or photographs of it you want. There are also several other methods of reducing silverings' effect. You can search RetouchPro for other threads on that subject.

Comment

Originally posted by mistermonday View Post
        Hi Timmy, the image is Black & White so I would desaturate it or convert it to grayscale to get rid of the areas of stray color such as between his shoes. The pattern resulting from the textured photo paper is more difficult to illiminate. The fastest and easiest way to mitigate it is to use a good noise filter such as Noiseware, Noise Ninja, Neat Image, etc. It will be a trade off between the amount you want to blur the image bersus how much of the pattern you are willing to put up with.
        Regards, Murray
        Would using a Channel Mixer adjustment layer with Monochrome checked work for this?

Comment

Originally posted by TommyO View Post
          Timmy,
          You may also want to consider rescanning or photographing the image again. The paper texture can be reduced dramatically by realigning the light source. Also, the "discoloration" you refer to looks like silvering - a normal product of age on images from this era. The silvering will only get worse on the original, so don't wait to get all the good scans or photographs of it you want. There are also several other methods of reducing silverings' effect. You can search RetouchPro for other threads on that subject.
          I will try rescanning it then. I only have a Kodak 4mp point-and-shoot and it wouldn't work for photographing this. I'll look up some techniques for scanning images such as this. Thanks!

BTW, other than the silvering still being there, what do you think of my restoration so far, as in getting the creases out?

Comment

Timmy if you are going to Re-scan this thread may help : Scanners, textures, scratches, cracks, silvering
            ~.~0lBaldy~.~

Comment

Originally posted by timmy1729 View Post
              BTW, other than the silvering still being there, what do you think of my restoration so far, as in getting the creases out?
              Well, I'm Ok with most of the spot removal. However, the clone source for the creases may have been too far away, as it brought in some noticeable larger textures. You may have to retouch those areas again and try to select some of the texture nearby.

You may also want to examine some of your adjustment layers, as one of the adjustments you made has accentuated the texture a bit, making it more noticeable as well. Sort of re-highlighted the little highlights in each of the tiny crevasses.

Comment

I started by switching to lab mode chose the b channel, used apply image chose the a channel set to exclusion to reduce the silvering. switched back to rgb mode used the magic wand to select the dark areas of the photo, applied filter,noise,despeckle 4 times to reduce the texture in the shadows, selected the highlights and applied the same filter once. repaired the defects around the table and small areas of the curtain and jacket. Used grain surgery 2 to sample the grain from the original photo and add it back into the shadows to reduce the texture a small amount more.
                Attached Files

Comment

Unimatrix, lovely job - except the image looks lavender on my monitor.

Comment

Thats odd I did convert it to black and white when all adjustment and corrections were made.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyO View Post
                      Well, I'm Ok with most of the spot removal. However, the clone source for the creases may have been too far away, as it brought in some noticeable larger textures. You may have to retouch those areas again and try to select some of the texture nearby.

You may also want to examine some of your adjustment layers, as one of the adjustments you made has accentuated the texture a bit, making it more noticeable as well. Sort of re-highlighted the little highlights in each of the tiny crevasses.
                      Thanks for the suggestions! I made two scans per the scanning tutorial that OlBaldy posted. I'll see if that helps when I get home this afternoon. Yeah, I've got a lot of practicing to do with creases and tears. Those are a little difficult. But, I can edit out pimples like a champ!

Quick question though. With dealing with creases and similar repairs, what adjustments are better to do before repairing those and what adjustments are better to do after? One book will say to do all major repairs before even doing a levels adjustment and some will say to fix the levels and contrast before doing major repairs. I can do steps and processes. But, things like this are difficult for me to grasp. I'll try putting the two scans together first and see if that helps me any. Hopefully that will reduce the silvering and bring out some more detail.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Keep 'em coming!

Comment

Originally posted by lurch View Post
                        Unimatrix, lovely job - except the image looks lavender on my monitor.
                        Mine too. I'm looking at it on my flat-panel at work and it looks that way on this one. I'll see how it looks on my laptop at home this afternoon.

Comment

yep, slight lavender cast here too...

Comment

The normal retouch,
                            B&W, re-color,
                            CS3 noise remover
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by timmy1729 View Post
                              Mine too. I'm looking at it on my flat-panel at work and it looks that way on this one. I'll see how it looks on my laptop at home this afternoon.
                              Lavender on my laptop screen too. Oh well. No biggie

Comment

Working...
                              X