Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance Requested with Skin Processing

Dear Fellow Members:

I registered some time ago and have only recently discovered what an amazing site this is. This is my first post and I hope someone can give me guidance.

As you can see on the attached image the model's right side is a bit overexposed. I have several images with the same dilemma and I hope someone can point me to a good workflow.

I initially thought of using ByRo's declipping method, but that seems more appropriate to spot corrections and not for such an expanse of skin. I don't feel I need much color, considering the mood of the image, but it is obviously too white.

Does anyone have advice for me? Is this savable?

Disclaimer: Outside of cropping (yes, I still have that offending Japanese screen on the left) and some background color correction, I have done no processing. No skin processing has been done either. I am Photoshop literate (PC version) and want to learn.

Michael P. Toothman
    Visible Metaphor
    Attached Files

Re: Assistance Requested with Skin Processing

Michael, welcome to Retouch Pro. There are many ways to tone down the highlights. One quick and simple one is to take the image into LAB color mode, apply a lockdown curve to the L channel and just lower the top two points. This brings the highlights down from 251 to approx 235. Because you are adjusting the L channel the colors are not affected. There are however many other methods with include Shadow/Highlight adj layer, burning, etc.
    Regards, Murray
    Attached Files

Comment

lightened the shadows
      Curves layers using bright lights and super lights luminosity masks (from This Action made by Amica999)
      Clone tool in darken mode, low opacity for some resistant areas
      slight color reduction In skin tones

Before / After
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mistermonday View Post
        Michael, welcome to Retouch Pro. There are many ways to tone down the highlights. One quick and simple one is to take the image into LAB color mode, apply a lockdown curve to the L channel and just lower the top two points. This brings the highlights down from 251 to approx 235. Because you are adjusting the L channel the colors are not affected. There are however many other methods with include Shadow/Highlight adj layer, burning, etc.
        Regards, Murray
        Thank you, MisterMonday! I can see a lot of value in this approach. I will definitely try it this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by grannysdc View Post
          lightened the shadows
          Curves layers using bright lights and super lights luminosity masks (from This Action made by Amica999)
          Clone tool in darken mode, low opacity for some resistant areas
          slight color reduction In skin tones

Before / After
          I really like the effect of this, but I am thinking there are some other steps I have to take to recapture contrast? I will look into the luminosity mask as I have never tried that before. I love how you recapture the skin tone! Thank you. Not sure I can do this technique, however.

Comment

If you have the RAW is a piece of cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum3 View Post
              If you have the RAW is a piece of cake.
              I do have RAW.

Comment

Good man. Now you need to open your Camera RAW (included in PS, just drag and drop the RAW File into PS and Camera RAW will open), then you can adjust the exposure just like taking the picture again (you can adjust lot of things and do very creative adjustments as well). If you need an intriductory tutorial, you can start by browsing in youtube. There is abnother program from Adobe called Adobe Lightroom, which does the same than Camera RAW but also works perfect for organizing the pictures.

Camera RAW Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...oq=camera+raw+

Lightroom Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

You can also blend several expositions in one single picture by combining Camera RAW and Photoshop and making the best pic you ever imagined.

Or you can hire me so you can extend your photographic horizonts, getting mroe work while I edit your pics for affordable prices

Hope this helps,

Mart

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum3 View Post
                  Good man. Now you need to open your Camera RAW (included in PS, just drag and drop the RAW File into PS and Camera RAW will open), then you can adjust the exposure just like taking the picture again (you can adjust lot of things and do very creative adjustments as well). If you need an intriductory tutorial, you can start by browsing in youtube. There is abnother program from Adobe called Adobe Lightroom, which does the same than Camera RAW but also works perfect for organizing the pictures.
                  Thank you, Mart. I do have all of these tools and use them regularly. The reason I posted originally was I was unable to fix this particular image. Adjusting the exposure in Lightroom and PS did nothing to bring back the missing skin.

Michael

Comment

Mmmhhh... If you have clipped out that area when shotting so there is no way to recover that detail in the traditional manner. You can open the pic in PS and see if you have some userful color/texture info in the blue channel, so you can recover from there or by clonning some color and texture from other part of the model's body.

Comment

Assistance Requested with Skin Processing

Just re painted it were it is needed,
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Visible,

This happens all the time!

Best way is to notice it right away in your camera and using your histogram...making sure that the pixels on the right side of the histogram do not begin riding up on the right edge... and then start climbing up the edge...indicating blown out whites in the image. In that case, just close down your iris on the lens to back those pixels off the right wall. This is the best way to fix it...on location at the shooting.. with lighting power adjustments, ratios, scrims or reflectors.

There are ways in Camera Raw and Lightroom to use the "Restore" slider under the exposure slider. It is designed to darken down blown out areas and to try to regain any usable detail in blown out highlight areas for you at the pre-processing stage...this often helps some. This way sometimes helps out some...but its no cure for doing it well on location as in above.

Here is a short video clip on how I might try to darken this area down in Photoshop...the reason I put it on video... is its easier to see what im doing than trying to describe it. It uses Multiply and curves layers to selectively darken those areas down some. If you have not produced the image well, or restored any highlight detail in lightroom or camera raw...then its onto Photoshop. Photoshop can further fix it some of the time...but sometimes not totally.

http://screencast.com/t/YzU3YjZiN

Cheers,

Ray12
                        Last edited by ray12; 11-29-2009, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Did you try the recovery slider in Camera Raw? There could be more tonal data you could pull into the image, unless it's truly blown out.

Comment

Originally posted by mistermonday View Post
                            Regards, Murray
                            Great post :-) (Well, it was back then)

Comment

I would agree with Cupcake.
                              If your RAW file can't bring it back with the recovery, I'd just airbrush back the skin color.

Try using Freqency Seperation, I find it best for airbrushing without messing up the details.

Comment

Working...
                              X