Help my Granddad's heads on fire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help my Granddad's heads on fire!

I am really stuck with this one. The original image is in really bad shape, my uncle sent it from Australia. Its laminated so it has been a nightmare to scan. The top of the picture is discoloured - most of which is not important to the image so I've faded it to black. Unfortunately this also chopped his head in two!

I have tried unsuccessfully to try and restore some tonal range to his head but everything I so just seems to make his head looks on fire. I tried donating some hair from someone else but its not the right type of hair.

Please can someone help me tame my grandad's head or donate a new toupee.

This is the only known picture of him, so any help would be really apresiated, Thanks in advance

Clare

Sorry the file didn't attach it self!

Hopefully its here now
    Attached Files

Comment

Clare, presuming Photoshop, try a pen path to isolate the faded area (or opt/alt lasso).

Slightly feather the selection and then create an adjustment layer off the selection - a levels or curves adjustment set to multiply blend mode.

Polish off with toning tools or a 50% gray overlay toning layer.

Stephen Marsh.

Comment

Clare
        try changing the mode to grayscale, or desaturate. I found that left his hair intact and easier to work with. Then you can revert to rgb and color or sepia or duotone with no overkill.
        Debbie

Comment

Thanks,

I think this looks better - not perfect but certainly better than it was. I used a combination of both of your methods and it was nice to be able to use his own hair.

What do you think?

I just have to work on the grain etc on the rest of the image now.

Clare
          Attached Files

Comment

Just thought I would update this thread.

I have finally got round to completing this image and have posted a before and after shot in my gallery.

Thank you all for your help

Clare

Comment

Working...
            X