fix color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fix color

Hello again...i need some help and since I am learning so much from everyone..i thought I ask...what do i do to lightened him and remove the red from her face?? I started using variation and found that he lightened up but she got redder...also how do i know what is enough usuage of unsharp mask..is there a secret formula to work with?? Please advise!! Many thanks
    Attached Files

Hi mpskin,
    Real quick job. Used Jak's tutorial on replacing channels found here: www.retouchpro.com/tutorials/replace/index.html
    Looked at channels on orig. Green looked lousy. Duplicated pic, set to lab mode. Went to channels selected lightness. Back to orig. Selected green, dragged lightness to green holding down shift key to lock it in. Now you should be able to adjust colors and levels and so forth. Someone else will have a better way I'm sure, but for now here's a start
    Debbie
    Last edited by dcarr; 11-11-2002, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Hi Mpskin,
      Welcome to Retouch Pro. Sometimes when you do color and contrast changes to surrounding areas your skin tones can be altered and in this case a blushing red. What you can do is select her face with a 3 pixel feather and under Hue / Saturation drop down the RGB at the top and pick Reds. Now in the saturation slider just lower the saturation a bit until her face looks more realistic.
      As for him, black people can be very hard to bring out in photos without throwing off everything else around it so I would suggest you select his skin tones, minus the teeth and eye whites and copy to a seperate layer and run a levels or curves adjustment to bring him out a bit.
      For the example I tried here, I ran an action called Reduce Shadows and set the fill opacity when prompted to 80%. It helped the picture greatly but I still had to select him alone and add another curves adjustment to bring out his features better. Hope that helps. You can find that
      here. Just scroll down til you find an attached zip file called Reduce Shadows added on one of my posts.
      DJ
      Attached Files

Comment

A quick fix.

I duplicated the the layer.
        I desaturated the top layer.
        Still working on the top layer,
        Opened "levels" and moved the right slider to the left, until it met the dark edge of the histogram.
        I set the opacity to Luminosity and flattened the image.
        Attached Files

Comment

Ok I messed up something in sending a corrected copy. After readingyour message mpskin, I did a quick correction. Still needs work, but you can see what I mean.
          Deb
          Attached Files

Comment

Created this by going into the Channels -- copying the Red channel, clicked on RGB to set image back to all channels, then pasted (Control-V) that Red channel as another layer over copy of original layer -- set layer blend to Luminosity. Merged these two layers and then did a Levels adjustment.

Got suggestion of adding Red Channel in Luminosity mode from Dan Margulis site.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's what I tried,
              Screen 2x. which lighted the image quite a bit. Selected his face & arms, using a curves adj to open shadows. I then added a red-yellow color correction to his skin tones. This is a real quick and rough example I tried. Hopefully this is helpful to you along with the other.
              Attached Files

Comment

I ran curves several times. The first curve made dramatic adjustments to the dark colors and the bottom quadrant of the green channel. I added contrast of 42 - a high amount, but necessary because of the intense curves. I then adjusted curves about 4 more times and ran another contrast.
                Attached Files

Comment

Just noticed your sharpening question. For most general purpose sharpening, set your amount to around 200. The Radius often correlates to the size of your file. The smaller the file, the smaller the radius. A good starting point for your threshold is around 30.

Taking this approach, your inital setting is amount-200, radius-tbd, threshold-30. First, adjust only the radius. A good setting will become readily apparent. You'll know it, because it's the setting right between too much and too little. Once you decide on a radius, adjust the threshold. Raising the threshold level will eliminate many of the arifacts, but it will also dilute the sharpening effect.

Before I apply the mask, I always deselect areas that become distracting when sharpened. This ranges from scratches and artifacts that will become more noticible, to areas that should not become focal points.

On this photo, the unsharpen mask I used was 193/0.8/42.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here's my attempt

Very Easy!

Duplicate BG and select SCREEN, then on its mask tame down too bright areas on man's shirt.

DONE!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Balky; 11-24-2002, 02:29 AM.

Comment

More on sharpening can be found here:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binar...V_links.html#S

It is worth exploring all the various articles - sharpening can be made as simple or complex as you like, but the goals are always the same...make the image sharper without making it look artificial and not to amplify flaws.

Stephen Marsh.

Comment

Asiva Tryout..

Not sure if I'm violating any forum rules but here's my try at this.
                        Using Asiva I was able to correct the redness in her face by desaturating the red component in the fleshtones. While I was at it I also took some of the blue out of the man's shirt. Then adjusted the the contrast and brightness of the image while brightening the man's face. Next I shifted the green color component of the man's fleshtones more into the red.
                        It's kind of hard to explain but Asiva works without masks. You use a combination of curves for the Hue, Saturation and Luminance Components of the image to make your selections. Once those selections are defined you can adjust or apply any number of soften or sharpen operators to the HSL and RGB components of that selection. Since this image is a low resolution version of the image file the results are not as good as it could be if working on the original. If you had the Asiva software I could email you the extremely small instructions file I used to correct this image. Since the instructions are vector based and not germane to any image, you could use it to correct the original higher resolution file.

oops image did not attach..
                        Asiva Tryout
                        Last edited by Asiva; 11-26-2002, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X