No announcement yet.

Studio photo help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Studio photo help

    I found two of the same picture of J-Lo. One is the original scan and the other was retouched. How can I do my picture like that after pic of J-Lo? Please help. I always wonder how the studio people did their photo. Like those models pictures from playboy. Please help

  • #2
    Non, looks like a basic mean/gaussblur/smart blur/median type average filter, or subtle smaller filtering of more than one of the above methods.

    Opacity, blend modes, masks etc would all come into play (although the image in question does not appear to have complex methods applied, it's all soft but perhaps the hair has less softening than the rest of the pic).

    This effect is done traditionally with filters on the lense, I would imagine (or vaseline on the lens <g>). There is a subtle trick to softening focus but still keeping the appearance of sharper detail in key areas. A diffuse filter effect is perhaps a bit different than an overly airbrushed look and if it has more of a glow feel than a blur then the effect can look nice.

    I am the retoucher for a magazine publisher - I personally hate an airbrushed look and will always try to leave in character forming wrinkles and poores etc...reducing the impact of these areas is better than making things look plastic.

    If your skills are more limited, search the web for a free plug called 'dreamy photo' - which looks OK and can be used with similar tricks to other methods after application (I have not used this plug).

    Stephen Marsh.
    Last edited by Stephen M; 11-27-2002, 08:22 PM.


    • #3
      For Playboy. For their gate fold anyway. They shoot that with an 8 x 10 view camera(neg.size is 8 x 10). I don't know if they still do it that way though. The smaller pics are done on 2 1/4.
      I remember doing some stuff on 70mm. The size of the negative was 6x9 format(bigger than the 6x7 medium format). At that time it was easier to do the retouching(conventional retouching) on the big negatives than 35mm(of course).

      On the special effects, as Steven said. Each shooter had their own tricks. Black stocking(small piece) over the lens. Vaseline on selected parts of the lens.......On the Vaseline that would be applied to a clear filter first(for me anyway) then put on the camera lens....... Tiffen filters were used over the lens. There was a thing "I" used. It was some kind of sandpaper(no joke). It was for drywall applications(sanding). It was black with holes in it. It looked like a honeycomb grid. I cut it into squares to fit in front of the lens shade.It was a tight effect.

      Katrin Eismanns' "Photoshop Restoration & Retouching" has techniques on soft focusing.


      • #4
        adding to it. Try here.

        Soft focusing

        I would not use this method(myself). But it might work for you.


        • #5
          Hi Non,

          This effect is very easy. Whoever did it on J-Lo did a hacky job. It was probably done with 'neat image', which is a blur/softening filter. You can get the same effect out of photoshop here with the blur filters, and maybe some dust and scratches filter.
          A good grain removal filter would help too, but if you don't have that then take a picture you want this effect done on and make rough, general feathered selections with the polygonal tool preferably starting with the worst of the picture (the part that has a lot of jpeg artifact) and on a duplicate of the original bg copy blur, or dust & scratches this selection until it is softened somewhat. You can also use the blur tool itself. Continue on making feathered selections over the whole image until you have the look that you like. Then duplicate the original, maybe blur it a few more pixels, change the blend mode to soft light or multiply and then reduce the opacity, saturation and/or slightly flatten the main curve in rgb.
          The samples here show the original, the fixed version using this technique (with multiply mode with lowered opacity),and what looks like a neat image approach. Clearly photoshop does the best job and effect is within reach of most if they problem solve a little.
          If you have any questions pm me. But really, it's just a matter of taking your time and working on the image in general chunks and playing with blend modes at low opacities, hue/sat and curves or levels and finishing up with slight sharpening and dodge & burn. Also, take a look at the tutorial on blended duotones on this site, which has much of this technique already described. It's a fashion thing.

          Have fun,
          Attached Files


          • #6
            Dream Effect

            There is a photoshop action called the Dream effect that does this, email me and I will send it to you.


            • #7
              Thanks to all...

              Thank you very much for all the helps. Luckily I found this forum it is so helpful. Once again. Thank You