Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help in making this clipping mask?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help in making this clipping mask?

I know a clipping mask lets you keep what is overlapping, but how do you keep the difference? For example, on the attached screenshot, how would I keep the red part of the ellipse? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: Can anyone help in making this clipping mask?

Copy the blue channel and adjust to make the blue area white and the red area black; I used curves.

On the layers palette, double click the background layer to unlock it, cntl+click the new alpha channel, invert the selection and make it a mask.

The mask might need a touch-up with the burn/dodge tool to tidy it up.
    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, maybe I should've been a little more specific. I'm using Illustrator to try to get this shape. I need to actually cut it out so I can layer something under it.

Comment

It's been a long time since I've used Illustrator, but there's a palette with shapes on it, one of which is unite (not the one you want). There should be one called something like divide or cut. Highlight the 2 shapes, click and delete the parts you don't want.

IIRC there's also a dropdown list with the commands: add/subtract foreground/background.

Make a copy of the file and have a play around.

Comment

Got it! In the Effect menu, there's an option called Pathfinder>Subtract. When shapes are grouped, it subtracts whatever is overlapping.

Comment

That's the one! Couldn't remember, too near bedtime.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• rxdan
              Layer mask questions
              by rxdan
              I am still working on the picture from my previous post. I now have 2 layers in my layers box, a background and a layer mask above it. The mask was created with a solid color fill after a selection. I chose red for the fill color because it would stand out against the blue sky. The mask icon to...
              11-28-2003, 12:46 AM
            • Gee
              issue with a mask.
              by Gee
              Hello
              i've got a small request here.
              for some ppl can sounds reaaally cheesy easy, whatever.

ok so i've got a picture.
              the thing is i played with the curves in some way to switch the tones.
              but basically i do not want to have the curves affecting the...
              01-11-2009, 02:47 PM
            • ajava
              Help me please, with the actual MASKING part.
              by ajava
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by mistermonday
              "I simply converted the orig image to LAB and selected the B channel (most contrast) and duplicated it. Then using the Apply Image command, applied the B channel to itself in Overlay Mode. A simple levels adjust to boost the contrast...
              01-22-2006, 05:06 PM
            • skoobey
              Checking precision of your mask? How???
              by skoobey
              Okay, so ,we all know what masks are for etc... but...

I was wondering what techniques do you use(or have heard of) that help check whether the mask is precise enough.

For example, if you use the pen tool to select an arm, and then apply a curve to that selection, you don't...
              08-13-2013, 12:17 PM
            • kkamin
              Creating a mask from an image's transparancy
              by kkamin
              I have been using Fluid Mask 3 to cut out complicated subjects from backgrounds--things like hair. It is not important to be familiar with this specific program to understand this question. What the program does is removed the background and adds varying degrees of transparency to the edges. It becomes...
              04-12-2010, 07:05 PM
            Working...
            X