Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! How can I extract from background.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! How can I extract from background.

Hello everyone. I have the following image (attached) in which I want to remove the glass object (number 1) from the green background and keep trasparency. I've tried using the "color range" (Select>ColorRange...) but I'm not getting good results, I'm also thinking in using paths but I would like to hear any advice first... how could this be done with good end results? Thanks for any advice/help you can give.

By the way, is encouraging to find a place like RetouchPro dedicated entirely to photoretouching.
    Attached Files

Re: Help! How can I extract from background.

Did you try using the extracttool? I would use this: open your image and double click on the "background" name in your layers pallette. This will turn it into a layer. Open the extract tool: Image>Extract or Option/Alt+Cmd/Ctrl+X.
    Take the marker tool and trace around the image you want to extract. Keep the marker 1/2 way on the image and 1/2 on the background. For solid areas use a small brush, for softer areas like the loose hair, use a larger brush. Now take the bucket tool and fill the area you want to keep.Click ok.
    There will be some areas that have been accidently deleted. You can clean up the image using the eraser and the history brush. Select a small brush size and paint back the image. Now you can place the image onto any background you want.
    Or the oldfashionway....select the channel with the most contrast, make a copy, use levels to pump up the contrast, use the magnetic lassotool to select...
    I was wondering, do you want to select the background to save or do you want the glass object to be saved?

Comment

something like this
      http://3ddataflow.com.au/stuff/1transp.png

Comment

Originally posted by capice View Post
        Did you try using the extracttool? I would use this: open your image and double click on the "background" name in your layers pallette. This will turn it into a layer. Open the extract tool: Image>Extract or Option/Alt+Cmd/Ctrl+X.
        Take the marker tool and trace around the image you want to extract. Keep the marker 1/2 way on the image and 1/2 on the background. For solid areas use a small brush, for softer areas like the loose hair, use a larger brush. Now take the bucket tool and fill the area you want to keep.Click ok.
        There will be some areas that have been accidently deleted. You can clean up the image using the eraser and the history brush. Select a small brush size and paint back the image. Now you can place the image onto any background you want.
        Or the oldfashionway....select the channel with the most contrast, make a copy, use levels to pump up the contrast, use the magnetic lassotool to select...
        I was wondering, do you want to select the background to save or do you want the glass object to be saved?
        First thanks for your reply. Yes I want to keep the number and the box but i want the box to be trasparent so that you do not see green but anything you put behind it. I'm using CS5 and did not find the extract tool at the end I used the color range tool and some masking to eliminate remains from the color range... maybe that's not the best way but I was in a hurry and that was what I had in hand... however now that I have a bit more time I'll take a more detailed look at your approach. Ill be posting my results. Thanks for your help.

Comment

That looks pretty good... what technique did you use? As i told to capice, at the end I used the color range tool and some masking to eliminate remains from the color range... maybe that's not the best way but I was in a hurry and that was what I had in hand... I'm always asking my self if there is a definitive way to work in photoshop although I get some good results in some works at the end I'm not sure if it was the right way to do it. I suppose that in photoshop there are many paths to get to the same point. Thanks for your example.

Comment

Here is the final image... not very accurate but getting close to what I was looking for... thanks for all your help. If anyone has any other advice/technique is welcome.
            Attached Files

Comment

looks pretty good J...congrats

Comment