Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to create a repetitive pattern like that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to create a repetitive pattern like that?

hi

is it ever possible to create a pattern exactly like that, in CS5 photoshop from scratch, which repeats itself endlessly and you cannot see the borders and that it is a pattern?

thanks
    Attached Files

Re: how to create a repetitive pattern like that?

Yes it is possible. It involves using the offset filter and cloning, dodging/burning to eliminate the seams.

Comment

Well, you'd see that it is a pattern, but yes, you can draw something similar that repeats itself. I don't know of any filters that generate this kind of pattern automatically (maybe some filter-gurus in here do?). When drawing/constructing/painting it, make sure the left/right and top/bottom edges match up (that's the only rule when making such a pattern).

Since you need it "exactly" like that, could you use that picture as a starting point to copy from? Better if you have a larger section of the texture in better quality - it is a damn complex pattern to draw from scratch!

Tip: You can use Filter > Other > Offset to "shift" an image so that you can look for seams
      Last edited by Chain; 04-10-2012, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Here's a quick version where I simply mirrored your image to make it tile easily. It's the only super-quick way of doing this with your pattern I think - but the downside is that it is quite obviously tiled along the seams.

To even out the "lighting" I used a 40 px frequency separation, and then used filter > blur > average on the low frequency layer. It's my magic trick for removing uneven (lf) info.

Full resolution/quality: http://i.imgur.com/IBbl8.png
        Attached Files

Comment

I'd start with photos or photo references. I'd create the shapes element by element following appropriate twists. Before that I'd draw out the way I want them to go with paths to provide myself with a roadmap. At the end I'd add in appropriate shading to complete the effect, as you can see lighting variation here.

Comment

Originally posted by Chain View Post
            Here's a quick version where I simply mirrored your image to make it tile easily. It's the only super-quick way of doing this with your pattern I think - but the downside is that it is quite obviously tiled along the seams.

To even out the "lighting" I used a 40 px frequency separation, and then used filter > blur > average on the low frequency layer. It's my magic trick for removing uneven (lf) info.

Full resolution/quality: http://i.imgur.com/IBbl8.png
            Interesting trick you have there, can you explain the frequency separation a bit more. I haven't used that technique yet.

Comment

Should be more info around if you search for it, but here's the recipie if you just read the two first posts:
              http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...it-images.html

You usually use a fairly low radius for e.g. skin. To even out the light in your pattern I used a large radius (don't remember, perhaps 30-40 px).

Comment