First Restoration Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Restoration Attempt

Hi there Im new here, I have been using Photoshop for a while but this is my first restoration attempt, wondering what you guys think and how I could improve this. The picture is of my mother, who hasn't got the hang of scanning in high dpi and unfortunately the original has been lost.
    Attached Files

Re: First Restoration Attempt

A few things jump out at me at first glace.

The contrast seems too harsh in some areas, especially the girls eyes and the boys head.

There's a strange texture on the man's face that's not as evident in the original.

The fix on the background bush has a lot of repeating elements that stand out like heavy-handed clone stamping.

Overall, though, I'd say it's a good start, and you've done a pretty good job fixing the damage in the original.

Hope that helps.

- James

Comment

It is a really good start. Here are a couple of things I picked up in addition to what James pointed out.

1. lower left corner near the fence, the white shape was cloned out. Not sure why also the lowest crease still shows.
      2. The horse's eye is a bit off. Too dark for the rest of the horse and a bit too circular. When I have to restore a photo that has something obscured I find it helpful to google images to help. In this instance I would have looked at several images of horses at a similar perspective for reference.

It is a great first try!

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I removed the white shape as it was annoying me (probably irrationally) but I totally missed that crease.
        I will reduce the sharpening as I think that caused the strange texture and re-do the horse's eye.

Comment