cutting out cars technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting out cars technique

im currently cutting cars shot like this out daily.

Iv attached an example image below.

Wondering if anybody has a link to a tutorial or a better idea than cutting out with paths? as it is so labouring.

the images are printed over 1 metre wide so it needs to be good quality.

PS. iv tried topaz remask 3 and quick selection and magic wand but they dont do a very nice job on the edges when you zoom in..

Any help is ver appreciated! Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: cutting out cars technique

Only way I know is with the Pen tool as you're currently using. This is the most precise way, other plugins and masking tools make judgements on the masked areas for you, so it can't be accurate, especially on hard edged objects.

Comment

I agree - the pen tool is the best way for two reasons - straight lines/perfect curves and because a computer algorithm can't make the same judgement calls that you can, because you know what the object is and what the background is. You have a lifetime of real-world experience on your side.

With some practice those cars really shouldn't take too long.

--shift studio.

Comment

Informative video here: "how to cut out an object in Photoshop and accurately preserve and extract the original soft shadow" (Assumes proficiency using the pen tool)

Comment

Things with clean lines like cars lend themselves to clipping paths. On the few that I've seen it always seems to start with paint, chrome, glass, overall, and then whatever others are needed. It isn't as bad if you use the minimum anchors necessary to produce an accurate outline.

Comment

Don't you just love responding to a thread, trying to help, and then the OP doesn't bother to respond?
            What a waste of time.

--shift studio.

Comment

BUT, with over a hundred views so far, we might have helped someone else solve a problem they were having...

Comment

Originally posted by 0lBaldy View Post
                BUT, with over a hundred views so far, we might have helped someone else solve a problem they were having...
                Thats a commendable attitude!
                I think I'm just a little crabby.

--

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks all for the suggestions. I originally thought this link was dead as it didnt get a reply for a couple of days and now iv only just looked at it again.
                  Iv posted the same question on reddit and got the same answers looks like ill be using the path to do these cars but atleast while doing them i wont be wondering if there is a better way out there..

Comment

cheers. ill give this a watch today

Informative video here: "how to cut out an object in Photoshop and accurately preserve and extract the original soft shadow" (Assumes proficiency using the pen tool)

Comment

Originally posted by shift studio View Post
                      Don't you just love responding to a thread, trying to help, and then the OP doesn't bother to respond?
                      What a waste of time.

--shift studio.
                      It doesn't bother me, but then again I like reading my own words.

Comment

Originally posted by klev View Post
                        ... but then again I like reading my own words.
                        somehow, I already knew that.

Comment

Working...
                        X