Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Restoring Historical Newspaper Photo

Hello,

I'm the historian for my church. The only image of one of our founders is, unfortunately, from a 150-year-old newspaper (that I have not been able to get an original copy of)... So, I'm hoping you may have ideas on how to improve the quality of this photo --enough so that we might end up with one suitable for framing--. Alternatively, if we can get the image cleaned up enough to use as a model for a painting, then I may try to paint a portrait of her for the church.

I've posted the image here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byv...ew?usp=sharing

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Warmly,
    Kristin

Re: Help Restoring Historical Newspaper Photo

Kristin, Welcome to RetouchPRO
    Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.
    Poke around, have fun!
    Speaking of a painting...... that would probably be your best bet
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 0lBaldy; 10-07-2017, 06:04 PM. Reason: added pic

Comment

Re: Help Restoring Historical Newspaper Photo

Hi Kristin
      Some improvement can be made by removing the newspaper print speckling yet its not going to get a ton better.
      Personally having done a lot of genealogy, you would likely be better off getting a high quality digital copy.
      The location of the image is in her obituary here found with a google search:
      Death of Mrs. Sarah M. Overton is Loss to the Community”
      San Jose Mercury Herald
      08-30-1914; Volume LXXXVI,
      Issue 61, page 5.
      Most of the archives are available through request by calling the right people or through an online service e.g. Library of Congress. Here is a link that might help:
      https://www.loc.gov/item/sn82014491/
      Good luck with your project.
      John Wheeler

Comment