help with shadow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with shadow

I posted this in another area...but it probably needs to be in this forum instead.

Can someone help me with this photo? I obviously have a problem with my flash. I didn't use a bracket or diffuser-stupid-anyways, is there a way to salvage this?
    Attached Files

not a guru here, but this is my fix. I selected the dark area with about a 45 pixel feather then applied curves. I did the same with bride, but darkened it a bit.
    Attached Files

Comment

My try with three adjustment layers in various blend modes -- multiply to darken her, screen mode to lighten him... I can send you the .psd file if you like -- it's a 4MB file size.

Scott
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is a quick attempt.

1. Lasso and duplicate bride. Set mode to multiply and adjust as needed.
        2. Lasso and duplicate groom. Set mode to screen and adjust as needed.
        3. Flatten image and did a slight colors adjustment to remove a slight color cast.
        4. Adjust/color range/shadows. Made a curves adjustment layer and softened the shadows to bring out more detail.

For finer detail and color adjustment you will need to create a few more layers to bring out more detail and reduce the shadows.
        Attached Files

Comment

here's my first attempt

O.K., you guys are amazing!! I've only had time to try one suggestion so far. Here is my before and after. I Selected each area (dark, light) separately feathered the pixels at 30, made copies via background, then worked with the curves on each and this is my result. I'm pretty happy with it although I am going to try all the methods suggested. What do you think?
          Attached Files

Comment

I thought that a gradient overlay on a layer copy would work (from black to white, left to right, mode on gradient window set to overlay). That and Curves gave me this in about 5 minutes. I'm sure there are other ways as well, but this is fairly quick and easy.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Blacknight; 04-05-2003, 01:49 PM.

Comment

my second try

I thought about this some more and:

- adjusted her skin tones
              - blurred the background
              - lightened the dark area in the middle so you can now see the outline of her hair

Scott
              Attached Files

Comment

Here's my try, First I duplicated the background layer and applied a brightness/contrast layer, adjusted the sliders until the groom came out of the shadows to my liking, then I used a gradiant on a layer mask to return the bride to normal. Next to give the bride more normal looking skin tones I used NIK Pen Palette and painted her face with the warm filter and applied a splash of color on her cheek. I did also blur the background a little.

Ken
                Attached Files

Comment

ok, so how do I adjust/warm the skin tone on the bride??

Comment

Originally posted by mimiya
                    ok, so how do I adjust/warm the skin tone on the bride??

I used NIK Pen Palette to warm her skin tones without that this is probably what I would do.

Duplicate the background layer and add a selective color adjustment layer, with a layer mask.
                    In the selective color dialog box, choose reds and adjust the sliders, looking at only the bride, don't worry about changing other areas as you can get rid of unwanted effects using the layer mask. Looks to me like most likely you'll want to increase the yellows quite a bit. Any areas that you want to return to their previous state, just click on the layer mask and paint with either black or white to remove or add back the effect.

Ken

Comment

Everyone has done a great job, but my taste isn't to view the shadow as a problem, but to darken the other side to balance and give the impression that it was an affect done on purpose, I think he looks wonderful, here are my steps

-duplicate layer in multiply mode, mask out areas i wanted lighter
                      -duplicate multiplied layer
                      -flattened
                      -cloned skin on her face in color mode from better skin portion
                      -used blur tool in color mode on her face until color smoother
                      -Color adjustment layer to finish her skin, masked to just her skin

That's it - very pretty - they will love it

Roger
                      Attached Files

Comment

Great idea roger_ele, wish Id'a thought of that.

Ken

Comment

oohhhhh....I like this too, Roger. I'll have to try this also, I think they'd like the result alot!

Comment

Good idea Roger, here's my interpretation...

Scott
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by sdubose99; 04-06-2003, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X