low contrast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low contrast

The attached image is a third-generation copy, at the least, and is the only one I have access to. Being copied so many times, it has lost its contrast, and demonstrates a good bit of static.

I have Photoshop 5LE. I've experimented in various ways with it, but it usually ends up oversaturating the light and dark points. Any suggestions, with priority on bringing out the head and face?

Brian
    Attached Files

I don't know if this is possible in LE, but you could try making a duplicate layer and setting blend mode to 'multiply'.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Hi Brian, I don't know much about LE, cept I don't think it has layers but could be wrong. LE must have the other basics. You might want to look at the histogram in Levels, by going to Image>Adjust>Levels. In Levels, move the leftmost slider to the right, then the move the middle slider to the left a bit until it looks ok, and then, if it's oversaturated, go to Image>Adjust>Hue/Sat and reduce the saturation.

Comment

Brian, Try this with PS 5LE: with your photo open and active, open the layers menu at the top of the screen and choose duplicate later. Next , select "multiply" from the blend menu in the layer pallete( Like Doug suggested) and see how it looks if you like the results press(CTRL and E) to combine the layers. To adjust the tone and contrast you will have to duplicate the background layer again and make those corrections using the curves and levels routines. PS 5LE doesnot have adjustment layers, as Mig indicated, but over all is a robust and useful program for doing retouching work. Except for "razzle-dazzle" stuff, it does an excellent job. Good luck and let us see what the finished result of your work is. Thats an very fine old photo. Tom

Comment

Working...
        X