background changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• background changing

Hey, i've been lurking here for a while, and when i ran into trouble with this image i decided to post it here. For some reason I just cant get the background change to look right. Here's the image any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is it that you want to do with the background? Or is the background in that image the new one that you need help with?

Jeanie

Comment

that is the group of people on the new background. It doesn't seem all that right to me, but I cant figure out what I don't like about it.

Comment

Look at making the background a little softer focus and maybe a little lighter.

Mike

Comment

I would add a little more shadow around the people and on the sides. I can't tell where the source of the light is coming from and that makes them look like they are floating. also i can't tell where the sky begins and where the floor ends. That parts also needs more shadow and more contrast. I hope I helped :-)

Comment

Yes, I agree completely with Shannon's observation. The people do look like they're floating. It seems like there should be at least some light shadows on the backdrop behind them. (Not too harsh, just enough to give some depth to the image without necessarily noticing that the shadows are there.) I also agree that they don't seem particularly "grounded". I do see shadows below them, but the floor doesn't seem quite right. Perhaps a perspective transformation on the floor would help?

Jeanie

Comment

Originally posted by jeaniesa
              Yes, I agree completely with Shannon's observation. The people do look like they're floating. It seems like there should be at least some light shadows on the backdrop behind them. (Not too harsh, just enough to give some depth to the image without necessarily noticing that the shadows are there.) I also agree that they don't seem particularly "grounded". I do see shadows below them, but the floor doesn't seem quite right. Perhaps a perspective transformation on the floor would help?

Jeanie
              ok, here is a link to a version i did with some shadow, does it look any better? Also, the floor was irking me as well, but i already did a perspective transformation on it... hmm

Comment

You probably want to copy your floor onto a new layer and then transform the perspective and change the blend mode to multiply and play with the opacity until it looks ok. I would also suggest cropping so you don't see as much of the floor in front. I tried to show you what I mean but without the blank background its kind of tough, but you should get the idea.

-Lisa
                Attached Files

Comment

ill try some of these suggestions out, thanks everyone

Comment

As far as the shadow goes, look at the figures - the light source seems to be coming from above and slightly to the left as you look at the picture (i.e. slightly to their right) - look at the shadows in their clothes to see this. So you need to make sure that the shadow you add matches this. In the example you posted with shadow added you added shadow above their heads - i.e. as if the light were coming from below - so that actually makes things look more unnatural not less.

Hope this makes sense!

Comment

background changing

Spinzz I think you are going in the right direction :-)

Comment

Lisa, I like what you did with the floor. It definitely helps. There's still something not quite right about the third girl from the left in the front. No matter what I do, I can't get her to look like she's really sitting on the floor, but perhaps I've been staring at it too long.

I did a quick mock-up of the shadow I was mentioning. I haven't done anything with the floor in this version - just added a subtle shadow trying to be cognizant of the light source that Leah pointed out.

I copied the people to a separate layer. Then added a drop shadow with the following values:
                        Multiply at 30%
                        Angle 125
                        Distance 26 px
                        Spread 0%
                        Size 32 px

Jeanie
                        Attached Files

Comment

The crop idea is a good one.
                          Also, consider messing with the background to create a little depth.
                          Be careful with making up shadows. If you decide to use shadows avoid harsh shadows, as it gives the impression the people are standing and sitting right in front of the fake background.
                          Strangely, fake backgrounds like this usually don't show shadows. Nevertheless, they always look fake no matter what.
                          But, good job with this. Most people would just assume it was a fake background and not a faked picture.
                          People, take a close look at the people in the pic, can you tell who's related to who?

mig
                          Attached Files

Comment

When I posted my first reply, I was in a hurry and posted the first thing that came to my mind. I have a few more minutes and would like to throw out a few ideas that I have been thinking about. I hope that all of you will look at this as an attempt to help.

First of all I am a photographer, so I tend to look at things from that viewpoint. Most photographers would light a large group like that so there would be a minimum of shadows. One has to be careful or one of the subjects will be in someone elses shadow. Also most photographers would light the set to remove any shadows from the background.

Backgrounds are usually allowed to go slightly fuzzy so as to minimize them so that the viewers eye goes to where we want it, in this case the people. We do this by picking an F stop that will give us the correct depth of field, or if shooting digital, doing the deed in PS.

Now the thing that comes to mind while looking at this and thinking about some of the things I have done while doing this kind of work is this. Scale. And what I mean by that is when you photograph a large group like that, one would need a very large background, but when you cutout the group, then you can just enlarge any background to fit around the group. If the background had been made large enough to fit behind a group that large, would the details of the background be that large?

With a background of this type, maybe you can get away with a scale change, but with something more realistic, maybe not.

I do not really know enough about this particular image to make any good suggestions, but that is the impression I got when looking at it.

Anyway, I hope this adds to the conversation and I welcome any other viewpoints.

Mike

Comment

I agree with what Mike said. I've received orders with like this asking me to actually remove shadows from backgrounds, so I don't think any should be added, even subtle ones. As this file came up it all looked natural to me until I saw their feet (56k modem hehe). The floor should be a little darker under the people. The kid on the left, his shoe should have a sharper line (this sticks out against that bright floor). The background is fine, I think. These faux scenic backgrounds always look like this, if properly lit.

That's the only problem I see, just needs a little change around their feet, because that area wouldn't be receiving light normally, right? I just did a layer via copy, changed to multiply and left it at %100, then made a mask and painted on it with an opacity at 10 until I built up a little tonal difference.
                              Attached Files

Comment