Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Focused

Hi all

Another newbie here! I just wanna say first, what a great site, there certainly is a lot of talent out there. My problem is this photo. I want to make the faces more focused. I've tried unsharpen & other sharpening plug-ins to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Keep up the good work all!!
    Attached Files

This is pretty small to try anything on. Having said that, here is a version obtained by selecting their faces and creating a new layer with just the faces. Then ran unsharp mask on that.

Catia
    Attached Files

Comment

A possibility is to gently use the dodge & burn tools, mostly the burn tool here. The best way is to add a new layer, then fill the new layer with 50% gray. Do that by going to Edit>Fill and in the dialogue box that pops up look for 50% gray and choose that. Then change the blend mode of this layer to soft light. The gray will disappear, but you can dodge and burn on this layer.
      Keep it on the subtle side and you can create a nice illusion of the details of the faces being sharper.

Mig
      Attached Files

Comment

heres a larger file

Comment

Thanx for those great tips, i cant seem to get the image file size to a maximum to upload without losing quality, but i will tinker about with the techniques u have suggested

Comment

Try posting just a segment, perhaps one including their faces.

I prefer the highpass sharpen method (make a merged dupe layer, use highpass filter, set blend mode to overlay or one of the other contrast blend modes).

Check out our tutorial section for another interesting sharpening technique, this one from Jakaleena (called "faux sharpening", I think).
            Learn by teaching
            Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• nudisco
              pockets glowing through the pants
              by nudisco
              Hello

I've got a problem, there is a picture of man in white striped suit, but on the pants yu can see through the fabric the pockets, its a bit brighter. How do i make it disappear, to look like all the same without damaging the stripes....
              03-09-2009, 04:00 AM
            • Doug Nelson
              Dodge/Burn layer
              by Doug Nelson
              Dodging and burning can be problematic at best. One alternative method I use occasionally is to create a new layer, set mode to 'multiply' and turn the opacity WAY down, then paint with black and/or white (or gray). I feel it gives me more control, plus it also seems to be more tolerant of errors. And...
              05-20-2002, 12:27 AM
            • beefhitler
              Darkening by Curves and then Overlay Dodge/Burn
              by beefhitler
              I was watching a compositing video a while back where I saw the artist do something which is new to me. Sorry, I do not have the link to the video anymore but I believe it was a Lynda video.

Anyway...

The artist places an object in the scenery and then goes about the usual...
              03-20-2017, 09:05 PM
            • GlamGuru
              This drive me nuts!! Dodge and Burn problem.
              by GlamGuru
              Iv'e seen it asked here before but I can't find a solid answer and I want to get to the bottom of this problem so I know how to avoid/correct it. I use two different methods for dodging and burning. Either I create a curves layer, mask it and paint with white, or I create a new layer, set it to soft...
              01-05-2010, 03:38 AM
            • Siciliana
              Dodge and Burn tool question
              by Siciliana
              So I am fond of using all different kinds of dodge and burn techniques. Sometimes I like to dodge and burn with color on different blend modes... sometimes using softlight or overlay blend modes with neutral shades, sometimes I use curves. I just do it by feel with a sort of intuition about the color...
              11-21-2011, 10:41 PM
            Working...
            X