Noise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise!

What causes this great amount of noise (or is it grain) in this photo taken of the Grand Canyon at dawn? I used 200 neg. film and scanned with an HP PhotoSmart s20 scanner. Other photos when the lite improved are fine. Thanks for your help. Tom
    Attached Files

I can't explain why this one turned out noisy and the others didn't but I do know that the noisiest channel is the blue channel, and this has a lot of light blue in it.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

If this neg was just a little more transparent, having a little less exposure than the others that might explain it. Underexposure can cause more grain with film. Have a print made from the negative and see if it looks the same ...

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nelson
        I can't explain why this one turned out noisy and the others didn't but I do know that the noisiest channel is the blue channel, and this has a lot of light blue in it.
        jpeg compression recognises that the blue channel is given least importance by human eyes, and that's where it compresses most of the data. Same with the compressors in most digital cameras.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• jonsien
          Hello and please help..
          by jonsien
          Hi,
          I've been lurking a while and trying to learn more about retouching. I must say that there are a lot of experienced folks here!
          Anyway I was faced with a challenge recently. I got an image that had a lot of noise in it. Now I don't know PS well enough to know if this can be done...
          08-30-2002, 11:54 AM
        • wholetthe15
          Help fixing photo from 50's
          by wholetthe15
          Hey, i'm kinda new at this and i was trying to restore an old picture from the 50's. I've done the best i could, but now i'm stuck... Can anyone help? or does anyone have any suggestions for me on what to do? Here is the Original picture, and the one i tried to fixed. Please help =)

09-21-2006, 08:59 PM
        • kadevries
          Miami vs Mars: Orange removal
          by kadevries
          Newbie here. I have looked around and have not found a sufficient way to make the beaches of Miami not look like the beaches of Mars. The building is probably art deco-ish flamingo pink. The sky and water...well...blue. Our grandparents and we were also not jaundiced. Eek. Can anyone help?
          01-05-2006, 11:11 AM
        • T Paul
          Channel Mixer
          by T Paul
          Image>Adjustments>Channel Mixer

The channel mixer is a wonderful tool and should be explored especially when you are creating black & white images. Experiment with the different color channels and you may be amazed at the dramatic changes they make in your image. First make...
          01-15-2004, 04:55 PM
        • Shoff
          How to use one channel?
          by Shoff
          I have a badly faded photo. The only channel that seems to look nice is the blue. So I want to use only the blue channel to do all my adjustments. How do I copy the blue channel over and work only on that?...
          08-29-2004, 10:52 PM
        Working...
        X