Noise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise!

What causes this great amount of noise (or is it grain) in this photo taken of the Grand Canyon at dawn? I used 200 neg. film and scanned with an HP PhotoSmart s20 scanner. Other photos when the lite improved are fine. Thanks for your help. Tom
    Attached Files

I can't explain why this one turned out noisy and the others didn't but I do know that the noisiest channel is the blue channel, and this has a lot of light blue in it.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

If this neg was just a little more transparent, having a little less exposure than the others that might explain it. Underexposure can cause more grain with film. Have a print made from the negative and see if it looks the same ...

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nelson
        I can't explain why this one turned out noisy and the others didn't but I do know that the noisiest channel is the blue channel, and this has a lot of light blue in it.
        jpeg compression recognises that the blue channel is given least importance by human eyes, and that's where it compresses most of the data. Same with the compressors in most digital cameras.

Comment

Working...
        X