Any tips on sharpening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on sharpening?

i have a very blurred photo (attatched below). most of the restoration work i've done so far (very little) has been removing scratches,blemishes etc.. and basically tidying up old images. So i dont really have any experiance in working with blurred images.

Any suggestions as to where i can start with this one?

Thanks.
    Pat

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...55/blurred.jpg

I wouldn't set my expectations to high for this image. Sharpening will not be able to bring it back into focus.

That said, I'd probably do this:
    Fix the redeye
    Run it through Neat Image (to reduce noise)
    Sharpen: duplicate later, desaturate that layer. Set layer blend mode to "Overlay". To same layer, apply Filter/High Pass (low end of slider). Adjust layer opacity to your liking.

Comment

Hi,

First I ran this puppy through Neat Image. Then jpeg artifact removal in PSP8. Then cleaned up the scratches, etc in PS7. And then ran a 15 pixel vertical convolution to remove the vertical motion that was visible looking at the right eye. Then ran Neat Image again to remove most of the convolution artifacts (some ringing around edges. Finally, cleaned a little more in PS7

Catia
      Attached Files
      Last edited by catia; 10-25-2003, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Vikki, Thanks for the tips... pretty much what i thought about the image being a bit of a lost cause once the blurring is that heavy... but your tips helped alot and have made a bad image an average one

Catia, I just tried myself using both yours, and vikki's tips and pretty much ended up with the same result you have (mines a little worse than yours actually , hehe, i'll keep trying and if not just use yours.. thanks alot..

Pat

Comment

Working...
        X