gr-gr-grandfather photo in horrible condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gr-gr-grandfather photo in horrible condition

I'm relatively new to restorations. I got some old photos from my mother and grandmother recently for some practice. My grandmother gave me an extremely damaged photo of her grandfather. I'm afraid it's way beyond my novice abilities. I wondered if someone could point me in some direction on where to start on this photo. There's not many places to clone from to remove the cracks. Is it even restorable? Thanks
    The high res photo is at this link:
    http://www.geocities.com/lamboe80/

Try a levels adjustment layer - you will be surprised how much detail is really there. Certainly enough to do a restoration using cloning and the healing/patch tools.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Xaran
      Try a levels adjustment layer - you will be surprised how much detail is really there. Certainly enough to do a restoration using cloning and the healing/patch tools.

Christine
      Thanks Christine. I did do that and saw a big improvement. Maybe I should forget about the background and just focus on him. That would eliminate a lot of work.

Comment

That's the way to do it - you can always do the background later if you feel it would be worth it or just extract him and add a new bckground.

Christine

Comment

If anybody wants to work on this, feel free. I'd love to see other results. I've got a pretty good start on it. The face is really tough for me though.

Comment

You might also try scanning in color and choosing the best color channel to begin your restoration with. I find that many times red and green are completely blown out but there is good data left in blue -- more than is apparent at first.

Scott

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Romany
              Tips on Old Photo
              by Romany
              Hi Again
              First of all I would like to say sorry about all the post's asking for help on various subjects.
              Today I have ordered the Photoshop Restoration & Retouching, Second Edition by Katrin Eismann, can't wait for it to arrive ( maybe then I can contribute something better that...
              01-29-2005, 06:03 AM
            • HroadhogD1
              Old photo
              by HroadhogD1
              Hi, I got the chance to work on a few older photos, that belong to an older woman, and she tells me that this is a photo of either her mother, or her father, she is not sure. As you can see it is torn I repaired the face and head, but I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the stained and faded...
              10-02-2007, 06:55 PM
            • Psycho_uk
              Old, ripped, scratched photo needs help
              by Psycho_uk
              Hi,

I was directed over here from the guys @ PhotoshopTechniques.com as your'e the experts on photo restoration etc.

I have an old photo (from 1930s - my grandparents wedding photo) that has been ripped and badly repaired (the photo has been taped back together, but there...
              04-19-2007, 12:29 PM
            • Nan
              Very old photo
              by Nan
              This is a photo sent to me by email from a cousin. It's my gr gr gr grandparents and the only photo anyone has. The cousin doesn't take it out from behind the glass so he took a photo of it.
              Where do I start to bring things out a little better? I think I can get rid of the scratches but just...
              12-16-2006, 02:45 PM
            • billr
              Photo with cracks and other damage
              by billr
              Hello. This is my first post. I don't know where to begin with this photo (or what can be achieved). I've had some success with CS5 healing and cloning tools starting with better originals, but I'm essentially a newbie and this photo is a real challenge for me. The original is a 3" square B&W...
              05-05-2011, 10:43 AM
            Working...
            X