Help with tricky restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with tricky restore

I can usually do a fair job restoring old photos but this one of my wife's grandfather is beyond my meager skills at the moment. Everything I try seems to alter the detail in his face to much and make iot look fake. I am using the red channel as a reference since it has the most detail..

Here is a copy of the original scan resized to a web managable size so you can see what I am facing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have been using Photoshop CS by the way.

Thanks
    Coilte
    Last edited by coilte; 02-01-2004, 03:58 PM.

I remember your original post. You didn't get much of a response. The problem is that the damage exists in all channels and the channels themselves are not that unhealthy. I could be wrong (Is that possible?) but I think any corrective work would be interpretive (Is that a word?). Can you post another pic of what he looks like? Perhaps our restore masters can come up with something close.

Cheers
    Duv

Comment

I was able to fix it a little bit, it would take a lot more work before I would come close to "happy" with it.

Definitely a nasty fixer, isn't it always the face and body of the subject you want that somehow attracts the most damage

- Noel
      Attached Files

Comment

wowsers, that's a rough one.

I have no idea what you scanned it with but sometimes a better scan can save the day.

Another avenue to possibly pursue is to make a photographic copy (instead of a scan) Different levels of light can have startling effects. I photograph art occasionally and sometimes even the artists are suprised by what shows up.

Good luck
        Ian

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Dave810
          Color or not
          by Dave810
          I am going to try and restore this old pic of my wife's family. (the little girl holding the doll). I have a couple of ?'s. This is a color photo. You can see a little of the color here and there. I am wondering if trying to restore the color will be worth the effort. I have looked at the channels...
          12-27-2010, 11:34 AM
        • iloveporkrinds
          Frustrated and could use advice.
          by iloveporkrinds
          I'm trying to fix and restore this photo, but I'm having a heck of a time. I have Adobe photoshop7 and I've used it for other things, but nothing like this. I'm about a 2 on a scale of 10 as far as experience goes.

This image is a scan of a negative. I have this scan and one that is...
          01-21-2010, 11:30 AM
        • Caitlin
          Moldy Polaroid - help! (Aunty Jack)
          by Caitlin
          Hi Everyone,

No-one other than my fellow Aussies are likely to recognise the name in the title, or the image attached, but Aunty Jack was an extremely popular and controversial comedy icon in Australia in the 70's.

Today I was given this polaroid by the actor/comedian...
          06-01-2005, 07:43 AM
        • mgaleone
          Suggestions on how to fix this
          by mgaleone
          This is an old color photo of my father's family. It is in terrible shape as the colors and brightness is off. I have PhotoShop 7.0. Any ideas of what I can do to fix?...
          11-23-2006, 09:52 AM
        • judyb
          Mildew/mold on photo
          by judyb
          Hi All,

I ran across this photo in our family mess of photos and am trying to figure out how to restore it in Photoshop CS5. I have others that part of the photo has been somewhat destroyed by what looks like the pox, but I assume is some sort of mold, breaking down of emulsion, or something....
          07-26-2011, 04:19 PM
        Working...
        X