Smoke gets in my eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke gets in my eyes

I have two photos I'd like some help with. The first involves black smoke coming from a big rifle in Hong Kong harbour, the 'noonday gun'. I'd like to somehow emphasize the smoke to make it more visible. The second is a large urn full of joss sticks which emit white smoke. Again, I'd like the smoke to be more obvious. Any tips or tricks for me?
    I have PSCS and have spent the last 9 months trying to learn how to use it.
    Attached Files

On Hong Kong harbour you might want to try Select: Color Range. Set the fuzziness to 0, hold down the shift key and with the picker click on a dark area of smoke. Click other areas to increase size of seletion. Create a Quick Mask and paint with white to reduce amount of selection black to increase. Also, use various percentages of brush opacity. Change to selection and put on it's own layer (Cntl -J) .Blur to smooth out edges and transition. Run a Levels adjustment layer and darken slightly. Blur again as necessary. Hope it helps.

Cheers
    Dave
    Attached Files

Comment

I just had a minute, so I'm posting what I did with this one. Made a duplicate layer, set to color burn blending mode, reduced opacity to 30% or so. Made a layer mask, and pulled a black to white gradient from the bottom up to the top of the horizon. The gradient was custom made, with about 75% of it black. I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but maybe it'll give you ideas.

Ed
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi everybody,

jgreen07,

Welcome to RP!

After correcting the yellowish colour cast what I did in the first picture (dark smoke) is:

Loosely selected the gun's smoke and strongly feathered it (radius=6).
        Ctrl+J copied it on its own Layer.
        Ctrl+clicked on the newly created Layer to re-select the smoke.
        Created a Curves Adjustment Layer to darken the smoke only.
        Partially desatureted the smoke with Hue&Saturation.

For the second picture (light smoke), I did the following:

Loosely selected the joss sticks' smoke and strongly feathered it (radius=6).
        Ctrl+J copied it on its own Layer.
        Set the new Layer blending to Screen and adjusted its Opacity.
        Ctrl+clicked on the newly created Layer to re-select the smoke.
        Used a Color Balance Adjustment Layer to give the smoke a light 'bluish' tinge.
        Attached Files

Comment

I just had a few minutes to try the other one. I duplicated the background layer, and set the blending mode to screen. Made a layer mask, and painted most of the bottom half with black to "undo" the screen effect. I then used blending options to bring more color back into the image. A curves adjustment layer was the final step. Attachments show the adjustments.

I didn't realize Flora posted on this one. By all means, use her techniques. I'm not in the same league with her.

Ed
          Attached Files
          Ed_L
          Last edited by Ed_L; 12-01-2004, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Ed, I would expect nothing less from Flora but this is about discovering different techniques for solving a problem. You did a "very" good job.

Cheers
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Ed_L
              I didn't realize Flora posted on this one. By all means, use her techniques. I'm not in the same league with her.
              Ed
              Ed, I think this is the very first time I disagree with something you said ... I prefer your result to mine...

Originally posted by Duv
              Ed, ........ this is about discovering different techniques for solving a problem. You did a "very" good job.

Cheers
              Dave
              YES!!!! that's exactly what this is all about!!!!!

Comment

Duv,
                Thanks for the positive words. I certainly want to see different approaches, but Flora is the Queen!!

Flora,
                We'll have to agree to disagree. Thanks!

Ed

Comment

I brightened the image and roughly selected the smoke similar to what Flora did. Put it on its own layer. Sampled the darkest part of smoke, then ran a radial gradient set to Multiply and 11% opacity and ran several times over the darkest parts and less over the lighter.

Cheers
                  Dave
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, everybody!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you all. The suggestions and samples were all wonderful. My computer has been down so I haven't had a chance to try them myself, yet, but I will, and I'll file this information for future use.

Digital manipulation is fascinating, isn't it?

Comment