Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Damaged Photo Suggestions?

Hi
    Could anyone suggest the best method to attack this photo?
    Cheers
    Romany
    Attached Files

I cleaned the worst of the cracks with the clone brush, and the healing brush, then selected the best chanel, then used that for a final little clean up, next I ajusted the levels to boost the contrast. This is just a quick fix, if you take your time you should be able to do a lot better. Wayne
    Attached Files

Comment

I turned it into B&W with channel mixer and then played a lot with healing brush, patch tool and clone stamp tool. It can be done much better on a better file, this one is too compressed to be restorated well.
      Attached Files

Comment

Old Damaged Photo

I copied the layer several times in overlay mode to increase the contrast and then applied levels. I also used the channel mixer and the green channel seemed to give the best contrast. Later I copied the layer x 2 one layer I used median blur with a lighten blend mode the other a median blur with a darken blend mode and combined the two (merge visible). It would take a long time to restore this photo properly.

There appears to be relatively huge pixel blocks. It looked like to me that the image was scanned initially at a low resolution and then resampled in imaging software upword before posting it on the site.

Comment

Hi All
          Thank you for having a go at this, i scanned the original at 300dpi but i had to compress it for me to upload, i think the limit is 100kb for this site?
          Cheers
          Chris

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• bvdwielen
            Old family photo
            by bvdwielen
            The people on the photo are my grandparents on the left side and my grandfather's family to the right.
            Unfortunately the picture is very low res and I'm struggeling quit a few problems with it. The most horrible one is ofcourse the lack of information due to the JPG compression and therefore...
            08-31-2015, 08:25 AM
          • Chadwick
            Another one needing help!
            by Chadwick
            I have been amazed at some of the brilliant restoration work done on the old photos posted.
            I have made several attempts at improving this photo without much success - it ends up worse than it started! Could anyone give me a clue where to start to bring it back to life.
            02-24-2005, 12:28 PM
          • bird
            Brothers Photo
            by bird
            sorry to keep bothering you guys.but i have a phooto of my brother who passed away in 1955 and it is the only photo that i have of him.can you tell me how to add detail to his face and get rid of that ugly yellow or brown tent.thanks and have a good day.Bird...
            11-05-2004, 11:53 AM
          • billr
            Photo with cracks and other damage
            by billr
            Hello. This is my first post. I don't know where to begin with this photo (or what can be achieved). I've had some success with CS5 healing and cloning tools starting with better originals, but I'm essentially a newbie and this photo is a real challenge for me. The original is a 3" square B&W...
            05-05-2011, 10:43 AM
          • FrannyMae
            Uneven Fading Problems
            by FrannyMae
            Hi all! I have been working on the attached wedding picture off and on for about a month, but have been unable to come up with a satisfactory solution to the uneven fading. I've tried working with the channels, curves, layer masks, luminosity, replacing the background-everything in my limited repertoire!...
            06-24-2005, 06:29 AM
          Working...
          X