Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFT Madness

Hi all

I'm at my wits' end on this. I've searched this forum and pulled up all that had to do with FFT, I've installed the fft and ifft filters (in three different folder because I never see this filter appear anywhere!)

I run Pshop 7.01 on a PC....where exactly do I find the fft filter? It's not in the filters/other folder (unless it renames itself to something else). I can see the HSB/HSL filter (which only runs in RGB mode) but no FFT.

Help!

Thanks

Alex

This thread may help you...

Which Problem to Tackle First

Run the FFT filter
    Run Filter>Other>HSB/HSL selecting RGB to HSB:If this filter isn't present you'll have to install it. You'll find it on your Photoshop CD (\Goodies\Optional Plug-Ins\Photoshop Only\HSL & HSB Filter) - just copy the "Hsbhsl.8bf" file to your PS filter directory.
    ~T

Comment

FFT Filters

Cheg,

I have a similar problem. I have down loaded the FFT IFFT filters and there they sit in my Adobe plug-in folder, but do not show up in the filter list anywhere. I haven't been able to find out why or how to access them.

I have CS and a Mac G5

K

Comment

Originally posted by T Paul
        This thread may help you...

Which Problem to Tackle First

~T
        Thanks for the link, but like I mentioned, I don't know where the FFT filter is (in terms of where it appears in Photoshop - not where it is in the folders) If someone could post a screencap of where I can locate it, then I'll know where to activate it!

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Fournelle
          Cheg,

I have a similar problem. I have down loaded the FFT IFFT filters and there they sit in my Adobe plug-in folder, but do not show up in the filter list anywhere. I haven't been able to find out why or how to access them.

I have CS and a Mac G5

K
          Alelulia! So I'm not the only one with this problem!

Comment

According to the readme text...

Setup instructions:
            1. Extract files from archive into any folder
            2. Copy files FFT.8bf from FFT folder and IFFT.8bf from IFFT folder
            into your "Plugins" folder such as C:\...\Paint Shop Pro 7\Plugins
            3. Start you Adobe Photoshop or Jacs PaintShop as usual. Installed
            plugins FFT and iFFT should appear in your plugins list.

Comment

If you put them in your PS plugins folder c:\program files\adobe\photoshop 7.0\plug-ins\
              Don't forget to restart photoship if it is open, and it should be under the name Alex Chirokov (probably the first one after the divider)

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by T Paul
                According to the readme text...
                Did this first:
                C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins

Then this:
                C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only

Then this:
                C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\Filters

Those two filters appear in all those folders (to be on the safe side), but don't *seem* to appear when I start Pshop...

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by MBChamberlain
                  If you put them in your PS plugins folder c:\program files\adobe\photoshop 7.0\plug-ins\
                  Don't forget to restart photoship if it is open, and it should be under the name Alex Chirokov (probably the first one after the divider)

Michael
                  Ahhh...did not to know to look for Alex Chirokov (so it does rename itself after all!) It's there but greyed out so I'll fiddle around with it until I can get it to work!

Thx

Alex
                  Last edited by cheg; 02-16-2005, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Ok, found it but...

In Rô's FFT tutorial , he says to make the image grayscale and duplicate the layer. Once that's done, Alex Chirokov's filters are still greyed out. They only appear when I convert the psd file to RGB. What am I doing wrong in this case? Does the image have to be in another format? Jpg? Tiff?

Thanks

Alex
                    Last edited by cheg; 02-16-2005, 02:22 PM.

Comment

FT filters

MB, T Paul,

If you have any thoughts for a Mac system..... In Adobe Photoshop, in the Plug Ins file, FFT and IFFT are listed. So, it would seem, they are loaded, but I cannot find they way to call them up or use them. They do not show up in Filters like Neat Image, Poloroid D&S, (that's another issue). I do not see any listing for Alex Chirikov. I even corresponded with him and it appears I was doing everything correctly in down loading and placing the files. So?

K

Comment

With Photoshop CS, I believe you have to install third party plugins in a separate folder than the regular plugin folder. You must then instruct Photoshop to use this additional plug-ins folder. To do this, go to Photoshop's Preferences menu, and then add it to the list labeled 'Additional Plug-In Folders'. If you have just upgraded to CS you may need to reinstall you plug-ins to get them to work.

I have also read that Photoshop CS requires OS X versions of plug-ins and will not load or run MacOS 9 (aka "Classic only") plug-ins. Many plug-in vendors have updated their plug-ins for Mac OS X.
                        Last edited by T Paul; 02-16-2005, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I don't know how much help this is, but the additional plugin folder required needs a "legacy number" before it will recognize new plugins. That number is your serial number. When it asks where the plugins are located, make sure that particular place is selected as well. If not, then Photoshop automatically assumes your plugins are located the default area.

Janet

Comment

What is FFT and Where To Get It?

Hi:

I've been reading about FFT filter in several areas of the forum, but cannot find any information about what it does and where to get it

Can someone please tell me?

Thanks in advance!

Sweet-P

Comment

Hi Sweet-P,

FFT stands for Fast Fourier Transform, it is a way of transforming an image from what we are used to seeing (pixel values at pixel locations) into a new image that contains information about the relative strength and direction of the component frequencies. After doing the transform, the image will be completely unintelligible to us humans, but all the original information is still there and an Inverse FFT (IFFT) will return us "exactly'' to the original.

Obviously just transforming (FFT) and inverting (IFFT) by itself isn't very useful. The great trick is that when we examine an FFT we can easily detect, and eliminate, small points that represent an overall repetitive pattern superimposed on our image.

This pattern could be due to photos printed on (old) embossed-type paper or some other process that left repetitive lines on the image. If you read through the thread that T Paul suggested above "Which problem...." you'll see a discussion of the use of this tool.

(IOU a tutorial: I did have a tutorial written but my computer got knicked. Should have a back-up around here somewhere)

Comment