Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for methods of pulling the hair from the background...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for methods of pulling the hair from the background...

Hi. I am a newbie at photo restoration, but I have the time and desire to learn it. I have a photo that I have been fiddling with for awhile and I really can't get decent results. I am trying to locate where the hair stops and the background begins in the attached photo.

I am using Photoshop CS, most current version, with an optical mouse (I have a Wacom pen on order).

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gary
    Attached Files

Gary,

Here are the steps I took with your picture. I will try to explain my methods as best I can.

1. Duplicated the background layer (never work on the background layer)
    2. I took a look at the Channels and noticed the Red channel does not have
    much detail left in it.
    3. I selected a Levels Adjustment Layer and brought the right and left triangles so that they "touch" their respective edges of the Histogram
    4. I selected a Channel Mixer Adjustment Layer. Checked monochrome
    and in each channel made changes R-25, G-35, B-40
    5. I selected a Curves Adjustment Layer and made a nice, little, "S" Curve
    It improved the contrast and tone.
    6. I Merged Visible, but kept the layers intact. Flora has a nice action for this in the Actions section of this site.
    7. To the Merged Visible Layer a applied Neat Image at 45%
    8. I added an Empty Layer, (Layer>New Layer), and changed the blending
    mode to Softlight and with a soft, black brush at 10-20% opacity painted
    over the shadows, lips, eyes, any hair I could see.
    9. I aded another Empty Layer and used the Clone Stamp Tool and the Healing Brush Tool to clean up the image.
    10. I went back to the Merged Visible layer and with the Magnetic Lasso traced around the man's image. I reversed the selection Shift>Command>I
    and selected the background. I then did Command>L and adjusted the Levels to darken the background. (I should have saved this to it's own layer, Command>J).
    11. At the top of the stack I created another Empty Layer and used the Softlight Blend trick again and tried to work on the hair a little. Not much result.
    12. I did another Merge Visible Layer and did a High Pass sharpening technique for sharpening.

There was not much detail in the hair to work with. I think to finish off the image I would have done a nice sepia tint.

Ken
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Gary,

First of all, welcome to RP.

Had a go with your image. Did'nt want to make the difference between hair and background too great as it would upset the lighting of the shot.

I first copied the background to a new layer. Then applied a levels layer, linked to the copied layer and used it to emphasise contrast as much as possible. Then I used extract filter to isolate man from background. Cleaned up the extraction a little using history brush and eraser.

Now dispose of levels layer, and set blend mode of copied layer to multiply. Reduced layer opacity to about 20%, then applied a graduated layer mask fading from white at the top of the man's face to black at the bottom.

Finally cleaned up a few minor blemishes with clone tool, and ran through Neat Image to reduce noise.

Hope this helps.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you much

You guys are great, thank you for the instruction. Now I will try to replicate the processes you used and use that as my learning tool. What a great site!

Thks, G

Comment