Help with colorizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with colorizing

Hi, I am restoring a photo of my uncle when he was a child, and I have pretty much got the major problems with the photo corrected, but now I would like to colorize the image. I have never done any coloring before, so this is all new to me. The technique I have been trying was using the regular paint brush on a seperate layer set to "color" blending mode. This seems to work pretty well for the most part, but does anyone have any better suggestions?
    My main problem areas are the "fuzzy edges" stuff like the hair, and the dirt/grass. What would be the best way to approach this?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Zarxrax
    Hi, I am restoring a photo of my uncle when he was a child, and I have pretty much got the major problems with the photo corrected, but now I would like to colorize the image. I have never done any coloring before, so this is all new to me. The technique I have been trying was using the regular paint brush on a seperate layer set to "color" blending mode. This seems to work pretty well for the most part, but does anyone have any better suggestions?
    My main problem areas are the "fuzzy edges" stuff like the hair, and the dirt/grass. What would be the best way to approach this?

You can conduct a Search for "colorizing" on this website and see what others have done and said on the subject.

Probably the best colorizer in this forum is Vikki -- here is a link to one of her posts with a couple of recommendations (using a sepia layer, and visiting Worth1000's website to use a tutorial based there)
    http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...91&postcount=5

Click on the link to her PBase gallery to see the high quality of her colorizing work -- then try to mimic her results.

You have the basic idea, and can add some ideas from Vikki and the Worth1000 tutorial -- then all you need is practice! You can find photos here on the website to practice on as well as your own. Feel free to post your efforts and ask for critiques -- people here are fair-minded and not mean.

Comment

Hi Zarxrax,

Welcome to RP!

What CJ said about everything but particularly about 'treating' yourself to a trip to Vikki's Colorizing Gallery!!!

Pure or nearly black just as pure or nearly white can't be coloured..... so, one of the first thing I do when restoring pictures to be coloured (or not ), is balancing highlights and shadows wherever necessary ....

I used the levels on selected areas to do that in your B&W picture. (Attachment 1)

In Attachment 2 I colorized the little boy and the ground only using the Worth1000's method ... To blend the colours in "the "fuzzy edges" stuff like the hair, and the dirt/grass." if you use the blank Layers set to Color way, you could use a very fuzzy brush decreasing its Opacity when 'overlapping' colours.

Hope this helps.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys. That bit about having too black or white areas is good to know, I had never thought about that.
        I was just reading about that technique on worth1000 and I have a question. In the tutorial it just tells you to make 3 color layers, blue, yellow, and red. If I want to use colors other than those do I add even more layers with seperate colors, or can you make any color by mixing different amounts from those 3 colors?

Comment

Hi Zarxrax,

glad we could help!

For the colours, actually, mixing and matching those 3 gives you quite a wide range of different colours .... Sometimes, I have some problems with their intensity ... so, what I do, after colorizing (done without adding any more layers with different colours), I selectively use Levels, Hue&Saturation and/or Selective Colors Adjustment Layers to correct or enhance the colours.

Hope this helps ....

Comment

Working...
          X